Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Job search in telecommunication - need help

dreier112
10-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Hello,

I am Eric from Germany and I am highly interested in any kind of job in Canada that has to do with either cable TV and additional cable services (PacketCable 1.x/2.0, etc.) or with fixed-mobile-convergence in general.
However, any job in the telco industry will do as I am not afraid of working some extra extra hours to get into that job. Until now, everything that I did was always new to me and I never failed in achieving my goal. I am not planning to start with that now.

The position should be located in either a sales environment or project management or product management. Consulting jobs are appreciated as well.

To give you a more precise outlook of what you get, take a look at my resume.

ERIC' DREIER'S RESUME:

Objective
A challenging position in a Canada-based company or organisation where I can gain additional understanding of international business, while using and improving my business skills as well as my engineering skills.

Experience
08/2004-12/2004 EWEtel Oldenburg/Germany
Student Trainee (IS/IP-Networks, Network Planning)

1998 - 2002 Research-Center Juelich Juelich/Germany
Power Electronics Engineer (Energieelektroniker)
Subject area: Operational Engineering
Within the work group Sensor-Technology and Electronics I was responsible for developing electronic systems and assemblies for diagnostics and control- and switching systems of the nuclear fusion experiment TEXTOR and its neutral beam injection systems as well as the education and supervision of trainees.

1993 - 1994 Grosskueche Breuer Inden-Pier/Germany
Driver

Education
2006 - 2007 University of Otago Dunedin/New Zealand
Master of Applied Sciences (MAppSc)
Subject area: Telecommunication
2005 - 2005 University of Otago Language Centre Dunedin/New Zealand
English for Academic Purposes
2002 - 2005 University of Applied Sciences Wilhelmshaven/Germany
University Diploma in Engineering and Management (Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Ing.)
Subject area: Telecommunications (4-year-degree program)
1999 2002 Chamber of Commerce Aachen(IHK) Aachen/Germany
Master certificate in Electrical Engineering (Industriemeister Elektrotechnik)
Subject area: Telecommunication
1994 1998 Research-Center Juelich Juelich/Germany
Power Electronics Engineer (Energieelektroniker)
Subject area: Operational Engineering

1985 1993 Gymnasium Haus Overbach Juelich/Germany

Awards
University of Otago Postgraduate Award 2006

Special Qualifications/Knowledge
Management Oriented Quality Management (REFA)
Pedagogical qualification compliant to AEVO (Ausbildereignungsverordnung) regulation

German Driver's License Class CE (cars and trucks of all sizes)

Courses as paramedic and firefighter
Squad-Man I + II (Truppmann)
Squad-Leader (Truppfuehrer)
Radio Operator (Sprechfunker)
Respirator Carrier (Atemschutzgeraetetraeger)
Hazardous Materials I (Gefaehrliche Stoffe und Gueter)
Radiation Protection I (Strahlenschutz I)
Emergency Radio Coordinator (Funk-/Datenbeauftragter)
Paramedic training course parts A, B, C (Sanitaetsdienstlehrgang)

EDP-knowledge: MS-Windows, MS-Office, basic knowledge of UNIX, Mac OS X and Linux, basic knowledge of programming languages C and Java

SMD-soldering technique
Voice over IP / VoIP over Cable / PacketCable 1.x/2.0
Telecommunication Networks

Activities
2003-2005 Member of the Student Parliament of the University of Applied Sciences of Oldenburg/Ostfriesland/Wilhelmshaven
2003-2004 Chairman of Student Parliament of the University of Applied Sciences of Oldenburg/Ostfriesland/Wilhelmshaven
2003-2004 Member of the Senat of the University of Applied Sciences of Oldenburg/Ostfriesland/Wilhelmshaven
Since 1994 Member of Voluntary Fire Department of Niederzier (currently inactive)
Since 1998 Member of Rescue Service of Juelich (currently inactive)

Language Skills
English fluent (IELTS: 8.5 points)
German native speaker
Japanese beginner

Alternative Service
1997-2003 at the Voluntary Fire Department of Niederzier

References
Available upon request

Tsveta
10-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi,

Do you want to immigrate to Canada or just to work for a couple of years?

contractor
10-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi
I’ve noticed you mentioned in your resume that you have drivers’ license. Well in Canada drivers licenses from other countries are not recognized. You have to do driving test here. You can omit that from your resume.

dreier112
10-31-2006, 09:41 PM
@contractor:
According to the information that I got from the Canadian embassy in Berlin, German driver's licenses will be exchanged without taking a new test. They told me, furthermore, that this goes for all provinces. The only thing to be presented to the local authority will be a valid vision test and proof of driving experience. In addition one will have to surrender the German license.

That's, however, the theory so far. If the reality shows that I have to take a test, then I will sit it. The information on the driver's license, even if i cannot use it anymore after I have come to Canada, might give a prospective employer some more information on my ability to handle certain kinds of vehicles. Therefore, do you think I should omit it completely; or should I simply rename into German Driver's License as I have done already?

@Tsveta
My long-term goal is to become a permanent resident of Canada and if I really really like it (which is what will happen, I guess) to become a Canadian citizen. However, any way that brings me into that wonderful country is ok. In the first place, I just wanna be there, be it on a long-term work permit or as a permanent resident.

I have checked the website of the embassy in Berlin and I am a little confused. In case I apply for residence through the skilled worker programme, can I apply as federal skilled worker and through the province of my choice at the same time or how does that work?

Tsveta
11-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi dreier112,

The reason I was asking for your intentions is because it is easier to come to Canada as a skilled worker. It takes longer (depending on how busy the embassy is) but when you are in Canada the prospects to find job are better. For some reason the recruiters prefer to work with people who are already in Canada.
For more info on how to apply as a skilled worker go to the Canada Citizenship and Immigration web site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/index.html

This is a quote form the CIC web site:
"After you have been nominated by a province, you have to make a separate application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence.
Provincial nominees are not assessed on the six selection factors of the Federal Skilled Workers Program."

More info about the provincial nomination program: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/provnom/index.html

I hope that clears it for you. If you have more questions I'll be happy to answer them.

My long-term goal is to become a permanent resident of Canada and if I really really like it (which is what will happen, I guess) to become a Canadian citizen. However, any way that brings me into that wonderful country is ok. In the first place, I just wanna be there, be it on a long-term work permit or as a permanent resident.

I have checked the website of the embassy in Berlin and I am a little confused. In case I apply for residence through the skilled worker programme, can I apply as federal skilled worker and through the province of my choice at the same time or how does that work?

contractor
11-01-2006, 11:05 AM
@contractor:
According to the information that I got from the Canadian embassy in Berlin, German driver's licenses will be exchanged without taking a new test.

Hi,

As far as I know you get Canadian drivers license right away only if you are from UK, USA or Japan. I was quite astonished by this selection of countries but maybe they've changed the rules. If you are applying with US driving license, you just go for the visual test and that’s it.
I don't think you have to surrender your German driving license though.