Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : 1 Year Graduate from Environmental Science and Geography... Jobless (Need help)

Huckebein
10-31-2006, 01:55 AM
Blah, I was glad to find such job board. I will try to provide as much info as possible.

I was graduated last year from University of Toronto with a honor degree in Honor Bach of Environmental Science and Geography, general put I am having trouble finding a job

I have worked in CIBC (not for long as I hated the attitude of ppl there as well as the customer), part time with Club Monaco, Census (Stat Canada), some Manufracture plant which made me left cause they injuried me and now I am working with EB games part time...

My resume isn't bad, at least I went to the national job fair and the guy couldn't even critize anything bad on it (he just dislike the format and color I use... which I think that really depend on your taste)

I mean.... I really wanted to find a full time and at the same time, I felt with my degree that I shouldn't stay at this Office admin level (which is ranged at $ 12 - 14 dolalr, I felt I deserve a bit more OR am I really asking too much?)... Then again, I have no idea how I can begin my career with something thats related to my study (I seeked Eco Canada - which is an enviromnetal job association for help, but I didn't even score an interview).

I really really need some pointer as in what I can do to help finding such job.

I was thinking about college, but I don't know what I should take or rather take something thats really off track.

Thanks for the help guys.

(PS: I tried Workopolis, Monster and my own University job board, but all I got was interview as Clerk or Office admin, I have not seen anything with related to my field)

Tsveta
10-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi,
Have you tried contacting employment agencies (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=1) with available jobs in your field?
I found a couple of recruiting agencies that are in the Environmental and Biotechnological market.

Search JobAgencies.ca and probably you will find more:

Career Advancement Employment Services - http://www.careeradvancement.on.ca/

Harcourt & Associates -
http://www.harcourt.ca/home/

http://environmental.aerotek.com/Recruiting-Staffing/Default.aspx

http://www.aerotekcanada.com/

I think a degree from UFT is very credible and you should emphasize that when speaking with recruiters. Call them and send them emails, but you have to talk to them, establish a relationship with them!

ching
10-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Huckebein,

I am unemployed too but I have started to follow up and to call the recruiters and I had 2 calls already. One was a quick interview which I wasn't prepared for but at least somebody called me!

Huckebein
10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the reply, truely appreciate it

I will try those link that Tsveta provided.

But ya, I have tried contacting agency for help, but it just seems majority of them deal with office, manufracture and other job thats unrelated to the field....

I defintely try calling up them again to see if they can help me in anyway.

But as for the other thing, I don't think College study is viable now?

contractor
10-31-2006, 02:07 PM
But as for the other thing, I don't think College study is viable now?

Huckebein, a degree from Toronto University is something so many people dream of having... You don't need to study more just need the right job…

Huckebein
11-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Well as of now what I am doing is just working this part time while finding full time in the spare time........

I guess thats all I can do

Tsveta
11-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Well as of now what I am doing is just working this part time while finding full time in the spare time........

I guess thats all I can do

Just have to be very persistent! The recruiters that you work with need to be reminded almost every day that you are looking for a job and that you are brilliant!

Huckebein
11-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Ya, thanks guys, I will keep trying.

I was modding my resume later to see if I can do anything with the format.

One of the question I was thinking was... I honestly, don't have a true career direction. To me I enjoy interacting with people and yet I hate doing sales quota, I am really lost in setting a goal and on the other hand I ask if it is even wise to go completely offtrack to work in something thats not related to my study (is that a waste? But then majority of the agency cannot offer help in looking for these job)

john_bree
11-02-2006, 09:42 AM
There is no way for a recruiter to know what you like/want to do. The only hint they have is your education, experience and objective. You have to make it clear for yourself first.

Huckebein
11-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Hey guys, just wondering what kinda salary range should a new graduate / partio working experience person be looking at in this point?

Tsveta
11-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey guys, just wondering what kinda salary range should a new graduate / partio working experience person be looking at in this point?

It depends in what industry you are looking for a job. Are you thinking of an entry level position in the environment field? Check out this salary calculator (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=13). It's a great tool which can give you an idea.

morgan86
11-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Hi Huckebein,

It really depends on the position you are applying. I was in the same position as yours. I am a recent grad with no experience and finally I found a job and I am paid $12 per hour, which is really low but I need the experience.

Tsveta
11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi Huckebein,

We have a new contest giveaway - iPod Video! Register and win using jobforum.ca: http://www.jobforum.ca/november_2006_contest.php

aladin42
11-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi Huckebein,

It really depends on the position you are applying. I was in the same position as yours. I am a recent grad with no experience and finally I found a job and I am paid $12 per hour, which is really low but I need the experience.

I would advise you to work for this wage maximum a year and then start looking for another job or ask your wages increased.

Tsveta
11-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Hi Huckebein,

I found what the salary range is for environmental technologist / technician.
I don't know if you want to work for the provincial or federal government or the private sector but the salary range is as follows:

GradTech: $26,000 - $29,000/yr
Technician: $42,000 - $49,000/yr
Technologist: $46,000 - $52,000/yr

Cheers

Huckebein
11-11-2006, 01:23 AM
Tsveta, I first wanted to thanks for all you have done so far. I truely appericate all the info and help you have supplied so far.

Some update for now. Sigh I don't know, the interview or even call for it are not even picking up. I remember back when I left my first job in February, it took me until June to find my previous job and still back then I got some interview calling bi-weekly. Now after I left my 2nd job, I can't even seem to get a hold on those interview call at all.

TO have a brief description about my working experience, I basically work part time... majority of my resume consist of part time ranging from 1- 3 months and my full time are pretty much 3 months (unfortunately, stupid things happen in the full time and therefore I was force to resign either due to injury or work place politic issue).

I was wondering if I have like 4-5 part time experience on there along with these 3 months full time in the resume (Which total up to 7 job not lasting > 6 month) will it make my resume look REALLY bad? Shoudl I just ignore those part time job and completely cross it?

Currently speaking I am working part time again and trying to find full time...

Sigh it is getting a bit depressing :(

Tsveta
11-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Huckebein, you will often get the machine but don't get discouraged. prepare a little speach/summary, (like the Cover letter) with your education, qualifications and the type of job you are looking for, and every time you have to leave a message read it out slow and clear. After that send your resume by email and call back the next day. If you get the machine again, say that you've already left a message and sent your Resume. The thing is you have to get noticed and you have to remind them of you every day. Eventually they'll call you.

About your resume- there is nothing wrong with the part-time jobs. Everybody knows that a part-time job can't last long.

Huckebein
11-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Tsveta, Thanks man

I will just keep trying and not give up. No way I am giving in now after what I have been through

Ascended
11-14-2006, 11:02 AM
If you have just graduated, why not talk to your student services at the university and see if they have any job placement, I just talk an EAS course and my prof gave us tons of career options, there are jobs out there, if not in toronto or wherever your from search around Canada, or possibly even the states

hope this helps :D