Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Is it true Canadians leave their doors unlocked??

Nick
11-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey,
I just wanted to know if Micheal Moore was for real in bowling for columbine when he said that Canadians leave their doors unlocked.. that sounds crazy, i wish more countries where like that.. congrats to Canadians for living in such a laid back society..might move there..:)

Nick

RSTech
11-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Its like anything else...depends on the individual. I live in a Canadian city with a population of about 43000 people and I always lock my doors. We are in a nice family-oriented neighborhood but we've had patio furniture stolen from our backyard on a few occasions. Makes you wonder what is next!

When I ventured out into my own business I set my office up in my house. With all the new computer equipment and various hardware the next thing I did was have a monitored security system installed. That being said, my parents live a 5 minute drive away and they only lock their doors at bedtime. My inlaws are out in the rural area (about 20 min drive) and they often leave the house unattended with the doors unlocked.

I just know I would kick myself if I left my doors unlocked and came home one day to find I had been robbed. Unfortunately I feel the need to lock my doors.

lana
11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
I am a big fen of Michael Moore. :cool: Some people don't lock their doors. I have a friend who lives in a nice neighbourhood and doesn't lock his door or his car. He even thinks I am crazy because I live in a condo and I do lock my door... It depends where you live I guess.

lookingforjob
11-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Hey,
I just wanted to know if Micheal Moore was for real in bowling for columbine when he said that Canadians leave their doors unlocked.. that sounds crazy, i wish more countries where like that.. congrats to Canadians for living in such a laid back society..might move there..:)

Nick

I think the majority of the people living in big Canadian cities lock their doors when they go out or at night. I agree that it depends on the individual, but it also depends on where you live.

Agent_J
11-07-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm Canadian, and I lock my doors. It's better to be safe than sorry :)

Paul
11-08-2006, 08:55 AM
I used to live in an apartment building and my car was robbed, they took the air bags!!!! Imagine that! It depends where you live.

aflyingcow
11-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Well with the crime rate getting a little bonkers in the GTA, our house started locking our doors a little more often.

We used to keep 'em unlocked most of the time..

guneiseimo
11-16-2006, 03:01 PM
I always keep my doors locked where i live. So far had a dvd player and a computer stolen even when i did lock the doors.

Ascended
11-19-2006, 09:26 AM
for that one town that he selected and perhaps that one area, yah maybe they don't lock their doors, but honestly I also think it depends on the area of the city, and the type of people that live there and what you have in your house. Traditionally bigger the city, less sense of community, more opportunity for crime, so you will lock your doors

RSTech
11-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Like most statements from Michael Moore he gives one or two examples and tries to imply that it applies to every situation. Since a few people in Canada don't lock their doors, it must mean most of the 30 million people in Canada don't lock their doors. Hey, he probably asked Bob from Canada, you know Bob from Canada right?

Ascended
12-06-2006, 09:11 PM
i thought my neighbourhood was legit, but recently there's been incidents of vandalism, my aunt's car was outside our house and someone shot a window out, and then another time stole a jeep - so yah no place is truly immune from crime and deviance

Revers3
12-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Yah, safe is better than sorry. I'm one of those Canadians that lock their doors!

ibarif1
12-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi Guys,

I believe it is safe here in Canada, but it doesn't cost nothing to lock the doors of your home or your car.

I'm living around Ottawa, and it happened to me many times to forget my new car unlocked.

Also, it happened to me to forget my home door open(no often).

It is true in some cities and areas in Canada, is it safe and you feel that your neighbours are your own family. But still, it is always, good to not take risks and not leave your doors at home open, especially when you are along, older or lady. We never know. When, you park you car, it is always good to not leave inside it your wallet, even if it is locked.

You know, any where in the whole world there are good and bad people. But still, here in Canada, I believe we are more safe than the majority of countries arround the world.

Regards,

Park Empoyer
03-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Michael's words were perhaps a bit meant to show the nature of the Canadian people. We used to NEVER bother to lock doors but that is changed now. I do however still know some people who leave their doors unlocked. Its a pretty good place to live.

MikeBrisbane
05-16-2010, 01:58 AM
Canadian,

The BEST place to live

also like,Michael Moore

JordanRHughes
07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
If you live in a city it's better to lock the doors. If you live outside the cities then most people don't lock there doors.