Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Professions in demand

Tsveta
11-07-2006, 02:09 PM
According to Human Resources Development Canada the following professions will be in demand in the next decade:

Process Operators
Welders (B ticket or more)
Machinists
Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanics
Heavy Equipment Operators
Engineers
Power Line Transmission Technicians
Plumbers
Professional Drivers Class 3 & Class 2
Carpenters
Cement Masons
Ironworkers
Power Engineers
Bricklayers

almo81
11-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks for Posting Tsveta.

(of course, this list is bad for a veteran IT professional like me...) :)

RSTech
11-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Interesting list; I can see why most of them are listed. I'm an Engineering Technologist but a lot us end up in "Engineer" jobs. Glad to see my field made the list.

lookingforjob
11-09-2006, 09:21 AM

Don't worry about thsi at all. There are plenty of IT jobs in Canada. What technologies do you work with?

almo81
11-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks LookingForJob,

my position is somewhat unique, since I'm not a canadian National (yet). Briefly: I'm a 15 year veteran of the IT industry that, in the past held several senior positions (up to vice president).

See this thread: ( http://www.jobforum.ca/showthread.php?t=722) for details and where's I've made inquiries on how to move the job search forward (very little luck so far).

Thanks,

Almo

lookingforjob
11-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks Almo,

I was wondering have you already applied for immigration as a skilled worker? I think you don't have anything to lose by applying, and meanwhile you can continue your job search. If you find a job in Canada before your application for skilled worker is completed, that's great, if you don't at least you didn't waste time.

almo81
11-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks.

I have applied, but the process is both expensive, and expected to take over a year ( I recently heard that due to the number of applications , the process is slowing down...)

Tsveta
11-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks.

I have applied, but the process is both expensive, and expected to take over a year ( I recently heard that due to the number of applications , the process is slowing down...)

On average the process takes about 2 years. You don't have to be a Canadian citizen to find a good job. Only jobs with the federal government require Canadian citizenship. It is said that they would prefer a citizen opposed to non citizen. You can apply for citizenship after 3 full years in Canada.

mattpiloto
11-11-2006, 11:20 AM

Good reason to take up a trade for a not as veteran IT pro like me :)

Ascended
11-14-2006, 11:05 AM
lol, i guess this doesn't help me becoming an education or history prof :D