Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Work Permit - 2

shlomo
11-07-2006, 04:59 PM
The paragraph reads:

“These steps must be followed before you apply for a work permit:
1.An employer must first offer you a job.
2.HRSDC must normally provide a labour market opinion or "confirmation" of your job offer. However, some types of work are exempt from this process.
3.After HRSDC confirms that a foreign national may fill the job, you apply to CIC for your work permit.
To get a work permit, you must fill out an Application for Work Permit. A work permit is issued if the application is approved.”

I am still not clear about this.

The paragraph is not specific about whether you can apply for work while in Canada on temporary visa or not.
Can I be in Canada, apply for work and then once I get the offer apply for the Work Permit? How long does the procedure last?
Once I got Work Permit, how long does that permit last? Is it linked to a job? Can I change the job and still be using the same permit?

Thanks for your help,

lookingforjob
11-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Here is my interpretation. You can apply for job while you are in Canada and you don't have a working permit yet. The thing is that you need to find a company willing to sponsor you for a work permit. If the employer is OK to sponsor you, they will give you a job offer. Then HRSDC will say yes or no to this job offer (yes if it's OK to hire foreigner to do the job). If HRSDC says yes, then you can apply for a work permit.

Again this is only how I understand it, but your best option is to consult an immigration lawyer or recruiters dealing with overseas hires.