Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Partner Program - Do you read it all?

RSTech
11-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Anyone part of the Microsoft Partner Program (Action Pack)? Just curious if you find the time to read all the e-mails they send? I can't believe how much they send me; I'd have to work full-time just to read all the stuff. Funny thing is, when I went on the partner site to find some training on SQL Server I wasn't able to find what I was looking for. Way too much stuff there to filter through.

lookingforjob
11-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Rob,

I've heard about Action Pack, but I was never able to find the page on their site. Can you post it here if you have it?

I remember vaguely that there was a yearly fee, and you get a lot of licenses for Windows XP, MS Office, SQL Server, etc. Can you give me some more details?

Thanks

RSTech
11-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Here is the home page for the partner program:

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/partner/default.aspx

I think its a great program. I pay an annual fee of $400 and get a pile of software. I can't remember the exact numbers and details but you get mulitiple licenses of Office, WindowsXP, Front Page, Project, Windows Server, Windows Small Business Server, SQL Server, Exchange Server and the list goes on and on. I have 3 computers all set-up with office and I run Windows Server and SQL Server on one of them for developing purposes. Its great; I have access to all the software I need to develop my applications for my customers. You also get all kinds of marketing tips and access to training resources. Definitely worth the money. I usually update my computers every 3 years so if I was to buy Office for 3 computers every 3 years it pays for my subscription. However the software is for internal-use only; you can't sell one of your licenses.

lookingforjob
11-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks Rob!

Are there any special requirements if you want to participate in the Canadian Microsoft partner program? Do they require minimum number of employees in your company or maybe some MS certifications?

Thanks again!

RSTech
11-09-2006, 09:37 AM
There is an application process. It takes 10 minutes online and they say they might contact you regarding your application. I wasn't contacted and was approved within a few days. I had my software a couple of weeks after applying. I don't have any employees so business size doesn't seem to matter; I work by myself. I also don't have any MS certifications. This program can help you work towards that however. Once you are signed up they will show you the competencies you need to acquire to become certified if you choose to do that. They even track it in your online portfolio for you so you know exactly what you need to do to get certified.

The application does question why you want the subscription and what you plan to use it for. I needed SQL Server and Windows Server 2003 to develop custom solutions with Rockwell Software products that I use. That seemed to approve my application. I imagine they want to know you are going to use it to develop or apply products that will require Microsoft products. I don't think they want to sign up the average home user who just wants all the software without a direction for Microsoft landing future sales.

There are different programs as well. My brother (also self-employed) works with Cerner CGL and is working on developing a software package for the health care field (chiropractors, massage therapists, Doctors, etc) and he is part of the ISV program which has stricter guidelines. He had to get his product certified by Microsoft (which he has to pay them to do) as part of his program. If approved he gets to display the Microsoft Certified logo on his product. I'm signed up as a Registered Member, not a certified member or ISV. I would highly recommend this program for anyone in the computer field that requires Microsoft software for developing or testing. From making web pages to customized office solutions, I think it is the way to go. Try the application, what's the worst thing that could happen; you don't get approved.

lookingforjob
11-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to explain everything in details.
I'm self-employed programmer and I should be able to qualify for the Microsoft partner program, as I work with Visual Studio, SQL Server and .NET.

One last question. Does the MS partner program work per calendar year or is it one year from the date they accept you?

Thanks again!

RSTech
11-09-2006, 03:05 PM
From the date they accept you. I just renewed mine a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like you won't have any problem getting approved based on the technologies you're using.