Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Routers?

RSTech
11-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone. I've been having problems with my wireless router lately. It keeps blocking my access to my DSL Internet for some reason. After resetting it usually starts to play nice again but sometimes takes 3 or 4 resets and/or power cycles before cooperating. I'm pretty sure the problem isn't my DSL (Bell Sympatico) but can't be sure. I can get it working again without resetting my DSL modem and I don't lose the DSL connection light.

I just got this wireless router about 2 years ago, its a D-Link. My last router was a wired LinkSys, the second one in 5 years. I talked to my brother (IT/programmer) and he said he's been through 3 LinkSys routers in the last few years himself. So I'm wondering is this the norm? I'm considering something a little more robust next time around. Any suggestions instead of the D-Link or LinkSys residential routers?

bongi
11-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi,

Funny thing, I have a wireless router but I use a cable to connect my laptop to the Internet! I used to have LynkSys and I threw it to garbage, now I have Netgear (for about 3 years) and I want to break it to pieces every other day. I keep resetting all the time...:eek:

RSTech
11-10-2006, 09:45 AM
So I guess I'll cross Netgear off my list of potentials. Thanks for the info.

lookingforjob
11-10-2006, 10:40 AM
I have Netgear WGR614v4 wireless router and it works relatively well, when I'm not too far away from it. I see many more wireless networks in my condo lately, and in some rooms in my condo the signal from neighbours’ networks is stronger than mine.

RSTech
11-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't have a problem with the wireless end of it. I never lose the wireless connection. The problem is I lose the WAN connection which is hard-wired between my router and DSL modem.

lookingforjob
11-10-2006, 10:59 AM
You might have a problem with the DSL modem then...

RSTech
11-10-2006, 11:01 AM
You might have a problem with the DSL modem then...
I don't think so. All status lights on the DSL modem are as they should be. Resetting the DSL modem does not get rid of the problem. Resetting the wireless router does get rid of the problem.

Roxxxeee
11-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Hi Rob.

I have a wireless router from sympatico. They were only too happy to supply it to me for free. I received it within 3 days. I've been using it for 2 years now and never have any problems at all. It's called Efficient Networks (but I doubt you could purchase one). No worries though it should be free for you also.

Good Luck

p.s. it's a moden and wireless router all-in-one

Ascended
11-19-2006, 02:28 AM
haha i need to buy a router now that i just got a laptop and ps3.. oh the woes of technology!!!!

RSTech
11-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi Rob.

I have a wireless router from sympatico. They were only too happy to supply it to me for free. I received it within 3 days. I've been using it for 2 years now and never have any problems at all. It's called Efficient Networks (but I doubt you could purchase one). No worries though it should be free for you also.

Good Luck

p.s. it's a moden and wireless router all-in-one

Thanks for the advice but I will only be on Sympatico for about another 4 to 6 months; then I'm moving out of the city and on to the family farm where I can't get Bell DSL. I'll be switching to a dish-based DSL service then.