Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : work permit application

PeterW
11-13-2006, 02:48 AM
I have been told that a job offer is imminent by a Canadian company, expected once the immigration details have been sorted and confirmed, I presume this mean the HRSDC approvement.

I believe I then will need to apply for a work permit.

The question I have, I want to apply for residency through the skilled worker program but not until I am in Canada, it takes too long outside, approximately 4 years for my country.

Should I reveal this when I talk to the immigration officers or would it harm my work permit application.

They state on the form that they want assurances that you will leave the country at the end of the permit, I would expect to have to apply for an extension before it ends as by that time I should be still waiting for the residency to complete.

The work will be in Ontario, not too far from Toronto.

Tsveta
11-13-2006, 08:35 AM
People apply for PR with a work permit visa. A lot of people change their minds when they arrive and either they have contract extensions or they get married...You can never know what will happen when you come to Canada, you may not like it and decide you don't want to stay after all...

PeterW
11-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I've worked in Canada before on a short 10 month contract, so I know what its like and know I want to come stay. Afraid I can't get married, my wife won't let me. :)

I'm just worried that if I stated that I was intending to apply for PR, it may delay the permit, I feel the company would want me to start within 6 to 8 weeks and wouldn't want to risk losing the job offer if they can't wait.

lookingforjob
11-13-2006, 01:27 PM
If you think that disclosing your intent to apply for immigration as a skilled worker while on a work visa in Canada will affect the issuing of the work visa, then do not tell this to the immigration officer. I don't think disclosing this will affect your work visa application in any way (Canada is looking for skilled workers after all), but you are not obligated to disclose something that might or not might happen in the future ;).

amborg
03-29-2007, 06:52 AM
People apply for PR with a work permit visa. A lot of people change their minds when they arrive and either they have contract extensions or they get married...You can never know what will happen when you come to Canada, you may not like it and decide you don't want to stay after all...

So it is possible to apply for permanent residency with a work permit visa? How long does one have to wait after landing in Canada on a work permit visa before applying for permanent residency. Is it possible to apply as a Skilled Worker/Permanent Residency while in Canada on a temporary work permit? After trying to dig around the CIC's website, the only thing close I found was:

"This application is for persons who are in Canada on a valid temporary resident permit and wish to apply for permanent residence. Applicants must have lived continuously in Canada as permit holders for a minimum of three to five years (depending on the reason the applicant is inadmissible to Canada under the Act) before they are eligible to apply for permanent residence."

Tsveta
03-29-2007, 09:34 AM
So it is possible to apply for permanent residency with a work permit visa? How long does one have to wait after landing in Canada on a work permit visa before applying for permanent residency. Is it possible to apply as a Skilled Worker/Permanent Residency while in Canada on a temporary work permit? After trying to dig around the CIC's website, the only thing close I found was:

"This application is for persons who are in Canada on a valid temporary resident permit and wish to apply for permanent residence. Applicants must have lived continuously in Canada as permit holders for a minimum of three to five years (depending on the reason the applicant is inadmissible to Canada under the Act) before they are eligible to apply for permanent residence."

I don't know anybody who actually did it, but from what you've quoted I guess you have to work here for at least 3 years before applying for PR. The best thing to do is to contact an immigration lawyer (http://www.getlawyer.ca/). They know all the tricks. ;)