Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Commission Jobs ... Awkward?

Ascended
11-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I used to work in a non-commission retail store, and yet there was still competition, which i found hilarious, i managed to sell the most and got recognition. Now i work at an actual commission store and I make lots of money, but we recently instilled a system with a cashier ringing in our sales, and they hired in tons of ppl to basically lower individual sales.. is this shady management by the company? what is your take? do you like working commission? see I am still the best seller and all, but my goal is to satisfy the customer, whereas others are there to just make money.

:confused:

lana
11-14-2006, 11:24 AM
I personally dislike pushy sales people, I feel threatened, if I don't buy I have to get out of the store sort of thing...

Ascended
11-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Yah I understand you, even though I work in retail part-time while going to Uni, I find that I go shopping and just don't like to be helped unless it's absolutely required, although lots of people do need tons of assistance and it's fun times to help them.

Tsveta
11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
I go to the sales person only if I need help. Unfortunately in the big retail stores they are nowhere to be found and in the small retail stores they are too much....

Ascended
11-14-2006, 04:58 PM
that's really good analysis actually, but u tend to get better overall service in big stores because they don't work on commission, although sometimes they can be apathetic.

RSTech
11-14-2006, 07:13 PM
When I get approached by a pushy sales person I just tell them I don't need any help. They usually take the hint and leave me alone. I understand everyone needs to make a living (even the pushy sales people) but they need to appreciate the customers needs and wants and not everyone wants help. I often find I have researched what I'm buying so much that I know more than the sales person about it.

Ascended
11-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Tru tru, the best sales people know who needs the help, who doesn't, and when to help to get the most sales :D

Huckebein
11-15-2006, 12:51 AM
I was working part time as sales (comission + base salary) when I was in my first year of University. But I can't be more than honest to say that I hated it very much, cause everyone that who I call colleague are enemys as they see each other, except a few that are really cool and dont manage to steal customer off you

Ascended
11-24-2006, 06:50 PM
yah especially when you have younger people, retail is a transient job for the most part, so people tend to be both shady and greedy.. when u can find good, genuine people and management, work tends to be better