Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Snake Charmers

Mr_Bojingles
12-04-2006, 07:51 PM
I was considering getting myself a king cobra and becoming a snake charmer. Ive been living in Canada now for 4 years and havent seen a single snake charmer.

Basically I have no education dont even have a high school degree so Im looking for jobs which most people either dont want to do or are scared of being injured.

The oil rigs is a good option. I already took an oil drilling course but unfortunately I got hit by a car and broke my hand. It will be a while before I can get to the rigs.

Do any of you think this snake charmer things a good idea? I love snakes and the idea of being bitten by a venomous snake doesnt bother me much. We have good health care and paramedics here in Canada. I'll most likely survive a bite from a cobra.

Where would be the best place to do this? I live in Montreal and I know I could do it in the metro stations here and rake in the money. Ive never seen it been done before. Id just hang around in Berri-Uqam all day and loads of people would give me money.

I think the main problems id have is getting permission to bring a king cobra into Canada. Plus I might have to settle for a venomless snake. Thats better for me though because im definately gonna get bitten a load of times. I heard a story about an Indian snake charmer that got bitten on his left testacle by a cobra. Needless to say he lost it. I'll be sure to wear a cup at all times.

Any opinions on my idea?

Mr_Bojingles
12-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Also basically I just like the idea of working with snakes. Lots of people are afraid of them so that means more work for me.

Does anyone know where to look for snake handling jobs in Canada? I know theres no poisonous snakes here but they must have some indoor snake farms.

Ascended
12-05-2006, 07:46 AM
no .. I have no idea .. but do you really wanna do this long term? how much does it pay? .. perhaps go back and finish your high school degree?

Paul
12-05-2006, 09:03 AM
no .. I have no idea .. but do you really wanna do this long term? how much does it pay? .. perhaps go back and finish your high school degree?

Good idea.
I would go back to school. Besides I don't think you can get a permit to perform in subway stations...

mattpiloto
12-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I would check into the legalities of it all first, but I'm sure you would make money doing it. Most people are more than happy to throw some change to a busker, and it would certainly be unique. No harm in trying. And to be honest, most person wouldn't have a clue if the snake was venemous or not (I wouldn't)

RSTech
12-05-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm going to start sounding like a broken record on this forum pretty soon, what about liability? You might not mind getting bit by a venomous snake, but what about the people passing by? What if little 3-year old "Johnny" decides to give the snake a pet on top of his head and ends up with half his arm in the snake's death grip? Next thing you know your love for snakes has you in a liability case.

And don't forget the "tree huggers" that might take offence to you parading a wild snake around public, "How cruel". We all read the complaints about the zoo and circus; don't think you'll fly under the radar. You may get some activists raining on your parade.

If there aren't any snake charmers in Canada I would venture to say there is probably a reason why. Not enough business, too much red tape (permits and liability), "Tree huggers" protesting, etc. I'm not trying to deter you from your idea, but there are lots of things to consider.

P.S.
No offence to the "Tree Huggers"; I like trees too!

Mr_Bojingles
12-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah I might just go back and get my high school degree. Im 20 but if I can do about 2 or 3 classes a day I'll have it in no time.

Plus I can think about doing this snake charming thing in my spare time at the same time as going to school.

Yeah Id better look into the laws concerning importing snakes and doing tricks in the metro stations. I think alot of the musicians in the metro stations dont even have licenses but bringing a king cobra down there will definately draw unwanted attention to myself.

Ascended
12-06-2006, 07:41 AM
yah, unfortunately there isn't too much respect for snake charmers.. at least where I'm from .. in that you'd probably only be successful during like fringe festivals and events like that.. and even though how much can you really make?

Tsveta
12-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I am pretty sure you won't be allowed to play with cobras in public. And besides aren't cobras endangered species?

Ascended
12-07-2006, 09:23 PM
yah, it'd probably have to be a "generic' snake and I don't know the appeal of snake charming anymore? u'd have better luck starring in a adult fil with the same title lol!

lana
12-08-2006, 11:09 AM
I personally don’t like snakes. If I see a snake charmer in public I will call the security!