Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : is the way that my boss does business legal?

platinum
12-13-2006, 06:52 PM
hi! my name is platinum, i'm 18, and new to the forums! :D

i used to work at staples, and i left cuz this job seemed much better, but it's not. i'm gonna quit real soon, and go back to staples. great place to work! :D

i work at a local computer store here in brantford ontario, and i've been there for 3 months, and i don't like it! it sounded great when i started, but i see now that it sucks!

among other things, the way that i get paid does not seem right to me.

so for example: in october, i worked a total of 192 hours. i get paid a base pay, and then i get commissions on top of that. here's the problem: my base pay is only $750, and my commissions for that month were $911.18. as my base pay stands, that's only $3.90, and with the commissions, it's only $8.65!!!! :eek:

to make things worse, i get paid once a month at the end of the month, my boss cuts me check (no paystub or anything), and I have to pay my taxes on my own. he doesn't take any taxes, CPP, benifits, insurance, nothing. i do that on my own.

and finally, technically, i don't even work for him. he says that i am "techically" self employed, and i work with him under "contract", but i never signed anything before i started!

HOW LEGAL IS THIS??? what can i do to put an end to it (i know i'm leaving, but how can i stop other people from getting tricked into thinking that it's a great place to work when it actually isn't)?

Tsveta
12-14-2006, 09:53 AM
I would suggest contacting a lawyer. Here is link to a Lawyer Directory (http://www.getlawyer.ca): http://www.getlawyer.ca/
First of all you have to sign a contract when starting a job, being temporary, part-time or full time position. The minimum wage for Ontario is $7.75 per hour.

What you can also do is to file a complaint and call Employment Standards Information Centre at 416-326-7160 or toll free at 1-800-531-5551.

to make things worse, i get paid once a month at the end of the month, my boss cuts me check (no paystub or anything), and I have to pay my taxes on my own. he doesn't take any taxes, CPP, benifits, insurance, nothing. i do that on my own.

and finally, technically, i don't even work for him. he says that i am "techically" self employed, and i work with him under "contract", but i never signed anything before i started!

HOW LEGAL IS THIS??? what can i do to put an end to it (i know i'm leaving, but how can i stop other people from getting tricked into thinking that it's a great place to work when it actually isn't)?