Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Run the Numbers

RSTech
12-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Are you considering self-employment? As a self-employed individual I get lots of people asking me how easy is it to do, and what do they need to do to get started and they have always wanted to have their own business. The first thing I like to tell them is to "Run the Numbers" and develop a business plan. It's surprising how many people drop the idea of self-employment when they go through this exercise.

Running the numbers - If you are going to be self-employed you need to make enough money to sustain yourself and any overhead costs you may have. Seems obvious right? A lot of people just figure if I make $50 or $75 or $100 per hour I will have it made. Well, depends on your overhead costs.

- Write down all your expected upfront costs. Depending on your business this may include items such as computer, fax, cell phone, tools, vehicle, office first/last month lease, etc.
- Write down your monthly ongoing costs. This may include office phone bill, cell phone bill, vehicle lease, vehicle fuel, software subscriptions, liability insurance, worker's compensation insurance, etc.

Now you need to ask yourself some questions based on the data you have wrote down. Do you have enough money in the bank to cover your upfront costs? If not, can you get a line of credit to cover it? It can be difficult for new businesses to get a line of credit. Ask yourself how much business will you need to get to cover your monthly operating costs; you'd be surprised at how much of your income may go towards these costs. Now ask yourself how much business you will need to get to obtain the wage (income) you would like to make.

After you run the numbers if you haven't scared yourself away from the idea then you need to move on to making a business plan. A good business plan should include investigating your potential market. Who will your customers be and how much work do you expect to get from them. Don't fool yourself and assume unrealistic goals because at the end of the day if you can't achieve those goals you will suffer for it.

Once you have run the numbers and have a realistic business plan that you feel you can achieve then you may be a good candidate for self-employment. Good luck!

Tsveta
12-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks RSTech!
This is a really good advice to all the people who consider self employment. Most people get really excited about self-employment. I have friends who would say “I want to run my own business, it is my dream to run my own business” but all they do is talk. They will actually never do it.
To cut the costs start working from home, rent an office space later, when you get more revenue.

contractor
01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks RSTech!
This is a really good advice to all the people who consider self employment. Most people get really excited about self-employment. I have friends who would say “I want to run my own business, it is my dream to run my own business” but all they do is talk. They will actually never do it.
To cut the costs start working from home, rent an office space later, when you get more revenue.

It depends on what you do. You may never need to rent an office if you are graphic designer, or flash designer. But if you are an accountant you may need some office space and once you get established clientele you will certainly look more credible if you work from your office not from your home.

karnetics
03-15-2007, 05:11 PM
I think you have made a really good point in your post.. Plenty of people do not realize how much it will cost to start a home business. But from my experience, I find that people do not know how much harder they will have to work trying to support their own business.

For example, if you work for job blow, you have only to put up with just him/her. But at the end of the day, you go home, no more work, no more problems.

Own Business, you will have to worry about customers, employees if any, marketing, finance, income, out going finances, personal life, and etc. There is a lot of stress that can come out of a home business. If you can handle stress, then all you need to worry about is finances.

RSTech
03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Own Business, you will have to worry about customers, employees if any, marketing, finance, income, out going finances, personal life, and etc.
This is so true. I am in a technical field and when I worked for someone else I spent 95% of my time on my technical work and about 5% on administrative tasks such as quoting. Now that I have my own business I spend about 60 to 70% on the technical work and 30 to 40% on administrative duties such as quoting, processing and paying bills, processing and billing customers, GST/PST returns, responding to e-mails, sales visits, etc.

I think this is why I like it so much. I don't have any employees so whenever I don't feel like wrapping my brain around a technical problem I might be having on a job I will shift gears and do some of the administrative work; there's never a shortage of it.