Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : reference issue

jellybelly
12-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Hello,

I'm in a weird situation where a potentiel employer would like to check my professional references, but my former employer policy is not to release more information than employment dates and position title. I was a temporary employee in that company as all of my former co-workers. The supervisor was the only person whom we reported to.
I asked for more co-operation from the Human Resources, but it seems they are not flexible.
I had no difficulties to get references from my current employer, and just need a second reference from my second and only employer I have here.
I read somewhere that an employer who cannot check reference should think the application is not a good one. This no reference policy is so ridiculous, and may jeopardize job seekers applications! I don't know what else to do.
Anyone has any suggestion? Thanks!

RSTech
12-27-2006, 10:02 AM
I would explain the situation to the potential employer and provide them the contact info of your past employer. Tell them they have a policy against providing info but here is there number if you would like to call them anyway and verify for yourself. This shows the potential employer you have nothing to hide.

jellybelly
12-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your answer. Actually, this was what I did, and the potentiel employer checked with my former one. They are still not satisfied with answers (or should I say no answers) they received. I explained the situation to both HR, and it seems like they stand with their positions in each side.
It's so stupid, because I know - and they also do - that I did a good job during my time with them; and because of their policy, it seems like I am a bad applicant or need to hide some things.
Oh well, I give up! I'm tired to talk to stubborn people!! I'm going to see somewhere else.

RSTech
12-27-2006, 11:54 AM
That must be very frustrating. You did all you could; it is out of your hands. It does seem like an unusual policy; I haven't come across that before. Does your past employer call references when they are hiring; if so they are hypocrites. I wonder what they are trying to accomplish by not providing the reference; strange.

kocoman
12-29-2006, 02:18 AM
Thats what happened to me in the past. The hiring person tries to make you bend your former company policies for their own good. I kept getting calls from them saying that if I don't do as they say ("don't listen to your former work's policy and to violate it.... if I do my former company will really give me a bad reference!!!) so even before you get a job you will ruin your previous (and most important reference)... so just be firm and say sorry thats their side of the story and you are not going to violate their policy.

I think this is called respect/critical thinking/reflection.
Make sure to flag this (the one you had problem with the interviewer) in your "job hunting" book. so if few years later you do get that "reference" they need, you can go to interview again.

If the interviewer keeps insist and you don't have, there is nothing you can do. Its like collection agency saying "ask your friend to borrow money to pay it off" just because the "agency" said this doesn't mean you must do it. if it end up you lost your friend its your fault

lana
01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
I know of such companies that don't give references. One of them is CIBC. I would suggest you to get a reference form a former coworker, not the manager. You coworker may not talk about your job there but can say a few nice words about you…

contractor
01-03-2007, 12:17 PM
I know of such companies that don't give references. One of them is CIBC. I would suggest you to get a reference form a former coworker, not the manager. You coworker may not talk about your job there but can say a few nice words about you…

This is a good idea; you can get a personal reference form a coworker at the same company. It will not be a professional reference but it is from somebody who used to work with you. Hope this helps!

Tsveta
01-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks for your answer. Actually, this was what I did, and the potentiel employer checked with my former one. They are still not satisfied with answers (or should I say no answers) they received. I explained the situation to both HR, and it seems like they stand with their positions in each side.
It's so stupid, because I know - and they also do - that I did a good job during my time with them; and because of their policy, it seems like I am a bad applicant or need to hide some things.
Oh well, I give up! I'm tired to talk to stubborn people!! I'm going to see somewhere else.

Sometimes the HR people can be really stubborn and do everything by the book.
Well if it's not going to work with them it will work with someone else. After all this is not the last job on Earth. You know you deserve the job and you can be good at it. Keep a positive attitude you and you'll find a job.

Please keep us posted!

kocoman
01-05-2007, 03:30 AM
The problem is the company policy also does not allow you to use any of the staff as reference. only dates and position worked. so if the future employer insist on having a "how the person preformed while there" the company won't release it.

Olga
01-05-2007, 09:30 AM
The problem is the company policy also does not allow you to use any of the staff as reference. only dates and position worked. so if the future employer insist on having a "how the person preformed while there" the company won't release it.

Don't you find that too shortsighted? What kind of policy is this? They probably want references when they hire you but they don’t give one.
:mad:

kocoman
01-06-2007, 07:59 AM
I didn't need reference from them before because I was working as volunteer (for them again) before I was hired. I saw the job opening at their bulletin board inside, maybe the "internet volunteering" was a reference. but since the whole company doesn't allow reference it doesn't mean anything even if I put the "volunteer thing" there.

m4rlb0r0_r3d
02-28-2007, 05:24 AM
even if I'm new
I must say that is a really stu**d policy
I think they are afraid that the references they make for you may be used against themselves...I think that's the reason

lana
03-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Few companies have no reference policy. Well stupid or not you have to accept it and move on. If your future employer asks about this company just say that they don't give references, he will understand.

meperidine
04-15-2007, 01:33 PM
It’s actually a fairly common policy for US based companies. The paranoia derives from litigation over an unfair (or perceived unfair) reference. It’s hard to ask someone to violate a written policy since they would be trusting you with their job.

jojoba
04-18-2007, 01:27 PM
It’s actually a fairly common policy for US based companies. The paranoia derives from litigation over an unfair (or perceived unfair) reference. It’s hard to ask someone to violate a written policy since they would be trusting you with their job.

I am not surprised. Do you know that almost 80% of the world lawsuits are in US? However I don't think in Canada most of the corporations have the same policy. :eek:

ibarif1
12-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Hold on guys,

Don’t be stocked with your former employer’s policy. It is not really a big deal! If HR or your Sup cannot give references about you for many reasons, it doesn’t matter. You can always choose your second contact name for references, from your co-workers list, clients if you know their contacts info, and even employer you’ve got your first reference.

If this doesn’t work, make sure that your potential employer doesn’t deserve you, and you might not be happy with him later.

Then move out and find another potential employer, you would be happy with. And, I’m sure you can find better employer than that one.

We also have a right to choose our employer, the one who trust us, the one who respects our rights and deserve us to do a good job for him.

Good luck.

Hope it helps, happy holidays.

Regards