Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Interview Questions

Tsveta
07-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Here is a list of the TOP 30 tough interview questions. Always attempt to answer these questions with an on-the-job example or experience to support it. Make sure that you are as prepared as you can be because you have to assume your competition is.

1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why have you decided to change jobs? Why are you looking?
3. Why did you leave your previous positions?
4. What motivates you?
5. Describe your ideal job.
6. Describe your ideal manager/supervisor.
7. What salary/rate are you looking for?
8. How do you spend your free time?
9. What are your short, medium and long-term goals?
10. How do you react to criticism?
11. Tell me about yourself. How would you describe yourself?
12. What are your long and short-range career goals?
13. What are the most important things you are seeking in a career?
14. What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
15. Site some examples of your ability to be a team player.
16. Why should I hire you?
17. How could you contribute to our organization?
18. Why did you choose the college you attended?
19. Why didn't you go to college?
20. What do you know about our organization?
21. Why are you interested in working for our organization?
22. What extracurricular activities are you involved in?
23. Are you willing to relocate?
24. What type of a work environment are you seeking?
25. What do you know about the position you are applying for?
26. What do you know about our industry?
27. What are you proudest of in terms of your accomplishments at you present position or former position?
28. What do you think will be the toughest aspects of the job if you were to accept the position? What will be the most enjoyable aspects - the least enjoyable?
29. What do you think your greatest contribution will be or what aspects of the job or the company do you think you would be able to make your greatest contribution to?
30. If you are selected for this position, how would you deal with the situation of individuals in the company who were competitors for the job for which you are being interviewed and who may feel that they are better qualified? (Some of them may be your subordinates.)

Toni
01-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Wow! Thanks Tsveta :)

RamyD
06-14-2005, 11:08 AM
How should i answer these questions? If i really want a job, should i answer objectively? saying that i DO react well to critisim? or honestly and saying that I acctually don't?

and how much influence does these questions have? I have encounterd a form that ask these questions (or very similar) and i am not always sure on how to answer.

laborfinder
02-24-2006, 12:45 PM
a good answer to the critisism question would be:
I listen to what other have to say and if I disagree I say "I respectfully disagree, but " and explain my case.

you don't have to just take it, you can defend yourself if you do it respectfully and diplomatically.

other sugestions?

lana
02-26-2006, 02:26 PM
It is one of the most difficult questions to answer on a job interview.
laborfinder thanks for the suggestion, I find it very well put!

Tim
02-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Nobody likes those sorts of questions. They are tough, and I certainly get a little stuck when I am asked such questions.

The best thing to do is just be honest. They will pick up on you if you are being "fake" and not being yourself.

If you don't know.. honestly say "Im not sure".
In my experience, this is appreciated alot more than some made up answer.

Administrator
02-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Nobody likes those sorts of questions. They are tough, and I certainly get a little stuck when I am asked such questions.

The best thing to do is just be honest. They will pick up on you if you are being "fake" and not being yourself.

If you don't know.. honestly say "Im not sure".
In my experience, this is appreciated alot more than some made up answer.

Indeed nobody likes those interview questions, but they usually ask them, so it's a good idea to be prepared for each one of them. I don't think answering "I'm not sure" to a job interview question will leave a very good impression.

trappercase
03-08-2006, 09:06 AM
How do I react to Criticism? I thrive on criticism. There is no way to improve if you are never criticized. You would have no gauge as to how well you are doing your job and you will never be able to change your ways.

Luke333
04-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Well, if you are junior, first acknowledge that you still have a lot to learn. "Criticism" is a way to improve so you don't take it personal. Try to find out what you did wrong and try to improve.

If you fundamentally disagree, voice your disagreement in a diplomatic way and mention the reasons for your disagreement.

"A criticism should not be the end, but the start of a dialogue."

lana
04-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Very well put Luke333! You don’t have to be afraid of criticism. It can be a good thing and a way to start a dialogue and improve your work in the team!

m9dds0ug
10-20-2006, 11:46 AM
If you a proached another employee within our company and were told its not my job what would you say . This sentence was brought forth by a young lady interviewing me and I said it depends on the situation it was used . I futher asked if she knew where the question came from an she didn't know . So I explained that it come from very large usually unionized environments that use multiple contracts . If the company you work for and are being paid by can not be ordered to do something not in the scope of your spect contract . So this company is infact screening for unions . She mearly repeated the question .:)

SDuncan
10-20-2006, 12:31 PM
If you a proached another employee within our company and were told its not my job what would you say . This sentence was brought forth by a young lady interviewing me and I said it depends on the situation it was used . I futher asked if she knew where the question came from an she didn't know . So I explained that it come from very large usually unionized environments that use multiple contracts . If the company you work for and are being paid by can not be ordered to do something not in the scope of your spect contract . So this company is infact screening for unions . She mearly repeated the question .:)

I don't know how you feel about unions but I resent them. They were created to protect the employees but they turned out to be money sucking mechanism with lazy employees!

Agent_J
11-06-2006, 11:54 PM
16. Why should I hire you?
17. How could you contribute to our organization?
I'd be interested to hear how anyone would answer these ones :)

Tsveta
11-07-2006, 08:04 AM
I don't find those 2 questions very difficult to answer.
You can always contribute to the company explaining what your strengths and skills are, therefore the benefits of hiring you.

m9dds0ug
11-13-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't know how you feel about unions but I resent them. They were created to protect the employees but they turned out to be money sucking mechanism with lazy employees! I can assure you I wasn't Lasy infact I find my self worn out at 55 with a laundry list of health problems I neither deserve or want and headed for disability . My resume' is five pages long . Most people don't seem to understand most of us die early . Unions are in place as a counter piont to very large impersonal companies which in the past operated as if we where dispoable slaves to be driven tossed away. Unions are not perfect . Many people belong ro them that don't take the time to understand them or even know there are different types of unions Doctors , Nurses , Police , Belong to associations which are unions . There are trade unions craft unions etc . and the Chamber of commerce is an example of a bussiness union . People don't remember how bad things can be and were and if they don't continue to take responsibility for them selves . It will happen again . :cool: Good Luck to you Strength has always been in knowledge and numbers .

RSTech
11-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't know how you feel about unions but I resent them. They were created to protect the employees but they turned out to be money sucking mechanism with lazy employees!
I've been on both sides. I've worked as a unionized employee and as management in a unionized facility. Now as a contractor I get to sit back and not worry about the politics.

From what I've seen it boils down to respect and an appreciation of each other's functions. There are unions that have no respect for the companies that employee their members and expect arm-chair pay for every little thing and make it difficult for the company to be competitive. Ultimately this hurts the company (profitability) and at some point the workers. These unions often blame the company for everything they possibly can.

There are also companies that have no respect for the unions and will blatantly do things that contradict "The Contract". This hurts the workforce which at some point will affect the company.

I think both sides need to respect each others positions and understand at the end of the day they are all there to provide a product/service/etc to their customer and they are all there to make money. If its one-sided with either just the company or just the unionized employees making money then there will be big problems. Problem is someone always seems to want to take advantage of the situation; its rare to get everyone to play fair. Just my two cents!

SDuncan
11-14-2006, 08:51 AM
When I was talking about unions I was referring to the TTC Union. Maybe you remember the illegal strike this summer when the entire city was stranded all because a couple of janitors have to make more night shifts! I don't know what happened, did somebody got fired because of that big gaffe (nobody cares to tell the public). But my point was the unions abuse their power and this has negative impact on the company’s image and profits.

jburcg
11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Good job; I just had a week long of those same questions.

Here is how to flip the interview in your favor:

The dreaded "What are your strengths?"

Answer: I could talk about myself all day, why don't you tell me a few things you liked in my resume, and I can talk about those things...

This works, and you start to take control. Be confident not cocky.

I heard this when I posted my resume at hreyesonly and recieved free interview tips. This was the best one I thought.

Rin
11-11-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm honestly at a loss as to how to answer some of these questions. I consider myself to be very low-maintenance, so my answers to these questions are honestly unremarkable or even strange.

Describe your ideal job.
Something I don't hate that will pay me enough to get myself out of debt, and so that I can move on with my life. Something that will give me the time and freedom to explore my passions and interests (because there does not exist a job which includes those passions or interests).

Describe your ideal manager/supervisor.
Someone who is human, has a soul . Honestly, I don't care what gender they are, how tall they are, if they have a great sense of humor or not, or whatever. How do I answer this questions honestly but without sounding like a ham?

What are your short, medium and long-term goals?
Short-term: Get on my feet, financially.
Medium-term: Get myself out of debt.
Long-term: Take monastic ordination to become a Buddhist monk.

Are these acceptable answers? Should I honestly be telling people that's what my long-term goal in life is - that it doesn't revolve around their company or the pursuit of wealth?

What are your long and short-range career goals?
This applies to all questions about careers. I don't want a career. I honestly don't. I want to get out of debt, save up enough money to head out to Gampo Abbey in Nova Scotia, and then spend the rest of my life living in monastic residence.

I can imagine that this honest answer will not serve me too well in the job market, but I'm not willing to lie about it. How can I address the topic of careers in an honest and acceptable manner?

What are you proudest of in terms of your accomplishments at you present position or former position?
I honestly don't know. I was never written up or reprimanded. I was on good terms with all of my co-workers. I did a good job and I knew it, but did it give me a sense of pride? No. I acknowledge that I am skillful and knowledgeable, I know that people like having me around - but none of that causes me to feel proud. I'm happy about it, certainly, but not proud.

SDuncan
11-18-2008, 10:29 AM
What are your long and short-range career goals?
This applies to all questions about careers. I don't want a career. I honestly don't. I want to get out of debt, save up enough money to head out to Gampo Abbey in Nova Scotia, and then spend the rest of my life living in monastic residence.

Hi Rin, I don't want to be cynical here but if you don't care about career and advancement in your job and you have debt why don't you go into bankruptcy and move to this monastery without thinking of your debt. I think this will simplify your life even more. Since you don't care about the life we ordinary people live you can do that in an instant.
Good luck in your future endeavors.

toughjobinterviews.com
12-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Rin

Perhaps constant practice, studying job interview resources and learning from other people can ehance your understanding of the entire process of job interviewing and how to tackle these herculean questions.

But not taking action to master the acts would only leave you in limbo and confused the more.

Personally, i found out the hard way after been branded "unsuitable" in numerous interviews i attended in the past. However, there is no right or wrong answers to these questions. The secret lies in your ability to put your self in the interviewer's shoes.

wintronic
01-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I have seen these kind of questions on may websites but not the answers. Is there any link for the answers