Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Tower crane....

kez
01-11-2007, 06:59 AM
My partner and I have just been told that being a tower crane driver wont get him in to Canada even though it is listed on the skilled worker list for immigration. Bearing in mind he has worked for 7 years operating heavy plant machinery and work in quarrys (also on the list) and he has worked doing underground pipe work for 3 years, (also on the list). Surely one or all of these jobs would be enough to get him in. We have found quite a few job sites in Canada advertings for tower crane drivers. Also I work in an elderly persons home working with people with demenita. I was also told this would not be enough.. although i am thinking of going on to do my nursing. Do you think my partner should try for a job in Canada first and then think about applying for immigration.
Thanks for your help.

Tsveta
01-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi, did you talk to somebody from the Canadian embassy who told you your qualifications are not enough?
You can use an online self-assessment tool to determine if you can get the 67 points necessary to pass: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html
That is the official Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site. You can find all the info you need there.

You can always try to find a job in Canada and then apply for a work permit. If you find a job the process is faster than immigration.

kez
01-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks very much for your reply...it seems that in Canada you need some sort of trade certificate to work in certain areas of consuction. This requires three years training. The course in the Uk for tower crane is only a 10 day course then you can be employed but obviously experience comes with the work you do. Surely if Canada companys advertise jobs here they must be willing to take you on and take you experience on board and not just how long you trained. So if in the next 2/3 years he applies for some jobs in Canada and gets one, will that then make it quicker for us to immigrate. Would he need to come back to the Uk to apply for immigration or could he do it whilst working in Canada and apply for me and the children to immigrate? Its so confusing:confused: Thanks again