Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Looking a Job in Canada

Louis Yeo
01-11-2007, 05:25 PM
I would like to check on the following:

(1) I am in Singaporean and had already sent in my application for Permanent Residence for Canada in the Canadain High Commission in Singapore. Unfortunately, they are processing the 2003 applicants, if I manage to find a job in Canada, will the employer be able to issue a temporary work permit or a letter so that with that letter, I can send it to the Canadian High Commission for a faster processing time.

(3) Is there a Job Fair in Toronto ?

Please advice.

Tsveta
01-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Yes, a job offer form Canadian employer will speed up your application.

You can check out 2 major job banks: workopolis.com and monster.ca
Also you can contact employment agencies (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=1)

What is your profession?

almo81
01-12-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't know what your profession is, or in which industry you hope to find work, but It has been my experience that Canadian employers are reluctant to hire people from off-shore. And Even if you do find an employer, The waiting time for the PR will still be months - and few employers will wait that long.

I'm in a very similar position to you, having filed for PR some time ago. The attorney handling my application has suggested a different path: that of a work permit. I described the suggested process in this thread: http://www.jobforum.ca/showthread.php?t=1292

If your case has already been reviewed by Canadian immigration (i.e. The file has been "opened"), you should consider this path, and present yourself, as I do, as someone who can obtain a work permit quickly.

Good luck.

Almo

Louis Yeo
01-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi
Thanks for your reply Almo81 and Tsveta.
By the way, I am holding a Degree in Engineering graduated from Australia. (4 year degree),
(1) Would it be easy to find job in Toronto as I have friends staying there.

(2) Understand there is a Job Fair this coming 24th Jan 2007, would it be advisable for me to fly there and speak to most of employer at the fair and get a confirmation letter from the suitable employer that can employ me.

(3) Would I require a letter from the employer stating that they will employ me so that with that letter, I can apply for a temporary work permit while waiting for the PR to process.

(4) I had already submitted PR application, will it expedite the process if I would show them the temporary work permit.

(5) Is there any other way to speed up the processing time ?

(6) Can my family go along with me once I get the temporary work permit? And how long can they stay ? Is it the same date as my work permit ?

(7) Can I open a Canadian bank account when I am not in Toronto ?
I am in Singapore.
Please advice.

almo81
01-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Hi Louis,

See below for my responses (marked [ALMO]). Please note that My own PR application is still in process. Also, that I have not actually tried the tempoary work permit route, so take my info "with a grain of salt".

By the way. Your degree in Engineering is in what field? (mechanical, electrical, electronic, construction?)

Hi
Thanks for your reply Almo81 and Tsveta.
By the way, I am holding a Degree in Engineering graduated from Australia. (4 year degree),
(1) Would it be easy to find job in Toronto as I have friends staying there.

[ALMO] If your friends can get you work (or hire you), then yes. Otherwise, I don't see how they can help you.
(2) Understand there is a Job Fair this coming 24th Jan 2007, would it be advisable for me to fly there and speak to most of employer at the fair and get a confirmation letter from the suitable employer that can employ me.

[ALMO] I don't know about the job fair: Will they have employers that are relevant for you. Also, I'm guessing that employers hiring through job fairs will not be particularly interested in the extra hassle involved in hiring off-shore. Maybe your Toronto friends can look into this.

(3) Would I require a letter from the employer stating that they will employ me so that with that letter, I can apply for a temporary work permit while waiting for the PR to process.

[ALMO] To get the Work permit you may need more than a letter from an employer: Your employer may need to prove that no Canadians are available to fill the post: For most professionals, this is not a problem: But it is still a formality an employer needs to go through.

(4) I had already submitted PR application, will it expedite the process if I would show them the temporary work permit.

[ALMO] Actually, its the other way around. Your PR application can expedite the work permit process. Note, however, that once you have your work permit: Then the completion of the PR is less important: You're already a Canadian resident.
(5) Is there any other way to speed up the processing time ?

(6) Can my family go along with me once I get the temporary work permit? And how long can they stay ? Is it the same date as my work permit ?

[ALMO] In theory, yes. However I suggest you refrain from moving your family until you can ensure the Job is "real".
(7) Can I open a Canadian bank account when I am not in Toronto ?
I am in Singapore.
Please advice.

[ALMO] I have no idea: I seem to remember reading somewhere that opening a bank account is difficult for a just-landed foreigner: You need to establish a financial history, and that takes time. It might be possible for your employer to help you here (you'll need to do SOMETHING with your pay, as well rent and maintain a home, buy a car etc.) I'm just guessing here, though

Hope this helps,

Almo

Tsveta
01-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi,
For more information on the temporary work visas you can go to CIC web site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.html
These job fairs are not very helpful. All they do is harvesting resumes and there are almost no employers, only recruiting agencies. Your friends can drop off your resume for you. Most of the recruiters don't even ask you any questions. It is just a waste of time.

When you come to Canada and have a work permit you can open a bank account at any Canadian bank.

If you want to get a job as an engineer you have to get you credentials evaluated first. For more info how to do that click here: http://www.cicic.ca/en/index.aspx