Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Interview next week! some questions . . .

politica
01-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I should start out by mentioning that I'm not Canadian, but this seems to be the best job forum I can find . . .

After to applying to nearly 150 jobs, I got my first real interview offer for next week. (!!!!!) As you can imagine, I am SCARED TO DEATH. To make matters worse, this is my DREAM job- entry-level development assistant in a major nonprofit in NYC. I was so excited when the woman called me that I forgot her name and even tripped over a few words.

But anyway, I have a few issues. Any help is greatly appreciated!
1) She first asked me if I would be willing to travel to NYC for an interview (I live near Chicago). In short, I'm broke. I told her that I would be more than willing to travel to NYC, but simply cannot do it at my expense. Was this an okay answer (remember I was REALLY excited/nervous)? She suggested that we start with a phone interview this week. Thinking back on it, I kind of wish I would have told her I could come to NY (I could have gotten money from my dad). God, I don't know what to do. If the interview goes well this week, do you think the org would offer to fly me out to NYC? Should I offer to come out at my own expense? I just don't want them to discard me because they think the travel is a problem. Ugh . . .
2) I have a feeling that people who look at my resume might be confused, especially about the dates. You see, I have my bachelor's and master's degrees, have spent time overseas (in the Middle East), and have several years of part-time admin experience. But I'm 21. I'm always afraid someone will notice these "discrepancies" and question me about them. On one hand, perhaps the interviewer will think its impressive that I've accomplished all of this at a young age. On the other hand, I don't want them to think I'm bragging/making it up or that a 21 year old is somehow teenager-like and therefore incompetent.

Advice?

RSTech
01-16-2007, 06:48 PM
It's not that unreasonable for a company to cover the costs of bringing a qualified candidate to their area for an interview. A close friend of mine went through this just a few months ago and the company also invited his wife along. The company's Vice-President brought his wife around the various neighborhoods so she could get a feel for where they might want to live. The company paid all expenses including airfare, meals, rental car, etc. It will boil down to how interested they are after your phone interview.

As far as being scared; don't worry its natural. You should however try to remain calm but a lot of us get the shakes during interviews.

Regarding your experience and education - as long as you have the paperwork (diplomas/degrees) to back-up your education and are willing to provide them you shouldn't worry. Whenever I interview I always bring copies of my diplomas and all training certificates in case they ask. Also youth might be what they are looking for. I had 9 years of work experience by the time I was 21; its a good thing; not a bad thing. Be proud of your accomplishments and your age. Prove to them you want this job. Good luck!

P.S.
Make sure you have a pen and paper during your phone interview. Jot down any names you hear. If you are going to be on a conference call with a few people the conversation will probably start with introductions; have your pen ready.

Tsveta
01-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi, most of the companies would suggest paying for your travel expences or reimbursing you, so this is not an obstacle. They knew that you live elsewhere and they called you, so nothing to worry about here.

A job interview can be stressful but don't worry so much. It won't be the first it won't be the last :)
Some tips on body language during an interview here: http://jobforum.ca/showthread.php?t=668
Make a list of questions asked during an interview and rehearse before that. You have to sound confident and professional.
Here is a list of interview questions (http://jobforum.ca/showthread.php?t=15)

Good luck and keep us posted.

lana
01-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi,

Both RStech and Tsveta are right. I would add just one more link that I find useful: http://www.jobforum.ca/showthread.php?t=13
25 reasons why people don't get hired - you try to avoid doing one of the following and you'll be fine; and remember you have to be calm and confident!

contractor
01-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I have a friend who lives in Toronto and was offered a job in New Jersey. The recruiting company has offered him to pay the airfare and the expenses. It is very common the recruiting company to offer you that.

Tell us how did the interview go?