Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience in Common-law immigration to Canada? A few quick question

geminihc
01-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Heres the situation:
my gf is japanese and currently has temp work permit that expires this june30 and is working in Canada. She used to be an int'l student and graduated from a canadian university (SFU) in BBA. She wants to immigrate to Canada.

Questions:
1.) how long does the Common-law relationship immigration process take? Is it faster to apply in canada or from US
2.) Are these evidences enough to apply for Commonlaw immigration?
-living together for a year with parents, with stautory declaration, and a written contract that she is paying rent to my parents.
-joint bank account for 1 month
-photos of us 2 years ago and through out
-friends as references that we been to together for 2 years (eg. b-day cards )
3.) Can she leave canada while applying? If not, how is she suppose to sustain her self if she is forced to stay in canada but not be able to work since her work permit expires in June30 (asuming preoessing takes longer than june)
4.) Is there a better way to make this process go more smoothly and faster compared to what i am doing so far? any tips?

Yes.. i know marriage the fast and best way.. but this isnt an option atm.

Anyway, i really appreciate your responses! thanks! hopefully someone's been through similar experiences and know what we feel.

Tsveta
01-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi,
Common law partnership falls under the family class immigration. The processing of your application depends on how busy the embassy is. Here is link to CIC web site with all the information you need to know on how to apply: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/index.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/faq-spouse.html

newincanada
01-25-2007, 09:11 AM
3.) Can she leave canada while applying? If not, how is she suppose to sustain her self if she is forced to stay in canada but not be able to work since her work permit expires in June30 (asuming preoessing takes longer than june)

She can apply for an extension of her work permit based on the application for PR, can't she?

gabagail
02-22-2007, 12:11 AM
She can apply for an extension of a work permit based on intent of putting her PR papers in but that it usually very tough and granted to provinces like Alberta, BC etc where there is a labour shortage in specific fields of work.

For common law partnership, you need to have NO LESS than a minumim of one continuous year lease or contractual agreement stating you both reside together, bills or drivers license to the same address, joint account and/or credit cards. You can also submit other kinds of proof like dated photographs,emails...basically anything that has a date on them.

But I do know for a fact that all of the above has to be a minimum of one year and it has to be continuous.

Good Luck!

Jena
04-08-2008, 04:54 AM
So do you guys think it would be a big deal if the bank acccount has been open 1 month prior the application was submitted?

In my case for example, our bank account was open in January 2008 and we are sending our application 4 months later.

Tsveta
04-08-2008, 11:49 AM
So do you guys think it would be a big deal if the bank acccount has been open 1 month prior the application was submitted?

In my case for example, our bank account was open in January 2008 and we are sending our application 4 months later.

I don't think this will be a problem but if you want to be sure, contact an immigration lawyer.