Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Government Policy or is it?

AmandaOK
01-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi All,

I am new to this site and I wonder if any of you can help me with a question I have.

My husband is in the British Army, serving in Alberta. Under the Agreement between the UK & the Canadian Government, we are both legally entitled to live and work in this Country for the duration of the posting.

My question is, I have seen numerous Government jobs that apply to my employment history, but the job advertisement usually ends with the statement "preference will be given to a Canadian Citizen, etc", does anyone know where the legislation is to support this statement? I have searched numerous web sites but to no avail! I am sure that the Labour Laws & the Canadian Human Rights Act would not allow this type of discrimination or am I wrong? I have noticed that this statement is not mentioned when a private company is advertising their jobs so I guess that this Policy does not affect the Country as a whole?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you.
Amanda

Tsveta
01-16-2007, 09:18 AM
It is true. Only jobs with the Federal government require Canadian citizenship. It is said that they would prefer a citizen opposed to non citizen. You can apply for citizenship after 3 full years in Canada.

"Preference will be given to Canadian citizens." this is from The Public Service of Canada web site.
for more info go to: http://www.jobs-emplois.gc.ca/menu/job_guide_e.htm

AmandaOK
01-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Tsveta

Thank you for your reponse, I knew it had to be true.

Thanks
Amanda

Tsveta
01-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi Amanda, you can apply for a job with the federal government. It doesn't mean that you can't work for them.
What kind of job are you looking for? You can try looking for a job at the major job banks: workopolis.com and monster.ca or contact employment agencies (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=1). Only the government has this preference for Canadian citizens.

morgan86
02-09-2007, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't work for the government. I would like to build my own business and become self employed but I still have to find what I am good at.... :o

srv
03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't work for the government. I would like to build my own business and become self employed but I still have to find what I am good at.... :o

Hi Morgan, Good for you. I wouldn't work for the government either. I guess one becomes lazy when gets to work for them. You can’t find a government employee in a hurry.
We pay taxes so they can exist and provide services but instead they become bureaucrats... :(