Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Apply for job while on holiday

gregr
01-16-2007, 03:10 AM
Hi, is it reasonable to visit Canada on holiday (on British passport) and then apply for a job and attend interviews? Could I then apply for a work permit while still in Canada?

lana
01-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I really don't know if you can do that. You can't work here without a work permit. Because "it is illegal to employ a foreign national who does not have a valid work permit" (according to Citizenship and Immigration Canada) I think you should obtain a work permit prior to coming to Canada.

contractor
01-19-2007, 09:41 AM
You can go to interviews and if the employer likes you he may start the procedure to get you a work permit. The thing is that most of the jobs go through recruiters and I don't know if they would like to work with you since you have no work permit...While you are here you can meet some recruiters and they may be able to help you and give you more information.

Tsveta
01-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi, here is a long list of employment agencies (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=1)in Canada. You can contact the agencies recruiting in you field and explain the situation. They sure will be able to help you.

lookingforjob
01-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi, is it reasonable to visit Canada on holiday (on British passport) and then apply for a job and attend interviews? Could I then apply for a work permit while still in Canada?

I don't see problem with that. If you find a company willing to sponsor you for a work permit, then great. As long as you don't do anything illegal (working without permit for example) you should be fine.

I'm not sure if you can apply for the work permit while in Canada though. You may be required to do this outside of the country.

dreaimer
03-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Here is some information on what you are looking for:
1. An employer must first offer you a job.
2. HRSDC must normally provide a positive labour market opinion of your job offer. However, some types of work are exempt from this process.
3. After HRSDC confirms that a foreign worker may fill the job, you apply to CIC for your work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.html

You can also visit the Canadian Embassy web site. They should have information on how long it takes to get the work visa.

Good luck :)