Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : off work sick

cheri
01-16-2007, 03:11 PM
I hope someone can answer this question for me. I have been off work sick for 2 days, my husband called in early this afternoon to book me off work for tommorow knowing I would not feel well enough by then to return to work. Within less then 5 minuets the supervisor called back wanting to know how did my husband know I would not be well enough by tommorow to return to work? every time I am off work even for a day I am canstantly harrarsed at home and when I return to work about how it is hard on them if I am off sick. I do not take time off unless I am legitimitaly ill and I always provide a doctors note when I return. I work with the public and eal with alot of seniors and I am concerned with making them ill. My question is: can I do anything to stop this harrasement and if so what? thanking you in advance for any assistance you may offer.

Tsveta
01-19-2007, 10:29 AM
I am afraid I couldn't find any legislation about this type of harassment but check out the Ontario Human Rights Commission: http://www.ohrc.on.ca/english/publications/index.shtml

Certainly your supervisor is a little bit too concerned about your health, to put it that way, so if you feel uncomfortable you can talk to his manager…

lana
01-22-2007, 08:58 AM
This really must be annoying. What does he do when you go on vacation? Does he call you? You should certainly talk to his superiors about this...

ching
02-08-2007, 09:23 AM
I remember once when I was sick they called me at home to ask me how I felt but I didn't feel any pressure, I think they were really concerned.
Do you get sick often?

cheri
02-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I am aware some people do not feel pressured when thet are contacted at home when they are ill, but this occurs everytime I am off ill. No I am not ill often and when I am off ill I always provide a Doctors certifcate, I do not take time off for no reason.

lana
02-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Hi Cheri, did you talk to somebody about your manager?

cheri
02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Hello Lana;

As of yet I have not spoken to anyone, the problem I have is that all of our management not only works together but they are all friends and spend time together outside of work. So, the problem remains as to whether I can trust anyone in the upper management level.

Tsveta
02-12-2007, 08:58 AM
So it is a close community... Well you can always try to contact the Ontario Human Rights Commission: http://www.ohrc.on.ca/english/publications/index.shtml

or just leave it and don't mind them :)

missworld
02-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Everyone is too nice and polite on this site. Here's my honest opinion about this issue:

First off, you did things the wrong way. if anyone were to call in to advise your supervisor about your illness it should've been YOU! It is your responsibility to notify your supervisor, not get someone else to do your dirty work. Unless your vocal cords have been damaged, you are the only person that should advise your supervisor. Second, are you calling in sick often? Even if you provide a doctor's note each and every time you are off sick, it does not change your supervisor's perspective of you. A doctor's note is so easily attainable these days with just a few dollars. I worked with someone who called in sick at least once every second week, if not every week. Every manager, supervisor, and employee's perspective changed and this person was seen as unreliable and not dependable anymore. I thought he was going to lose his job but apparently he has since smartened up and changed his ways (by not calling in sick as much). I'm sure his own supervisor has noticed his improvement, as she no longer hounds him about it. You're supervisor is right about things being harder for them with one less person, since everyone has to take on your responsibilities while you are away. While this is alright once in a blue moon, it is NOT fair to everyone else if you call in sick often. Next time you feel you are sick, suck it up and go to work! Although it isn't fair, it will show your supervisor that you made an effort to come into work. It allows them to see that you really do get sick and not just pretend you are (recall: your husband calls in sick for you and you bring in a doctors note the next day). Who knows, maybe your supervisor will send you home to rest!

In regards to approaching management, confide in a manager that you are tight with or who has witnessed your supervisor's "harassment" towards you. If you are unable to doing this, maybe you should look at this with a different perspective. Since you've already tainted your reputation at work, perhaps your should reverse your question and ask whether upper management can trust you! Are you beneficial to the organization?

lookingforjob
02-14-2007, 10:26 PM
That's why I prefer working on contract. If I call in sick I don't get paid. I rarely get any sick days and everybody is happy.

jojoba
02-15-2007, 09:22 AM
I can see two very different points of view here.
Certainly both cheri and missworld are right.

I think cheri has a point for not going to work when she is sick because she can make her co-workers sick too and missworld has a point for not calling sick too often.
I think that the 3 days per year that we get to call off sick are more than enough for a healthy individual.