Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Move to Canada and keep current (American) job

astachel
01-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Hello all,

This forum seems to have a lot of good experience on it.

I am currently trying to weigh my options for a move to Canada, ultimately for permanent residence. My research has shown that a work permit with a job offer is the fastest way to make this happen.

In considering options I was wondering if anyone knew of any way to maintain a job with a U.S. company while moving to Canada even temporarily. I feel that I already know the answer, but with the Skilled Worker Visa program not requiring a job offer, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that.

Keep in mind, I want to do things the right way, I am just looking for options.

Thanks

Tsveta
01-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi, you can move to Canada and work remotely for a US company. I personally know people who are Canadians and work for US companies. It depends on what you do. If you are in the IT sector you can certainly do that.
For more information you can visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html

Have you applied to immigrate as a skilled worker?

astachel
01-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks....

....to clarify, I am a U.S. citizen with a job at a very, very small U.S. company. I have a girlfriend in Canada, and ultimately we wish to be married, but don't quite have the means right now. My thought was to somehow move to Canada to live with her and retain my current job, working remotely. I have made small visits doing this on a visitor visa. Do you think it could work longer term on a visitor visa until common-law kicks in or we are engaged?