Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

pebble
01-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi everyone! I'm glad to have found this place. I'm in a situation at my workplace and could really use some advice.

My company pays for life/long term disability insurance as a benefit for all us workers. I became ill with Graves' disease and then found out that I am not covered even though it showed up as being paid for on my cheque stubs for years.

My boss insisted I go through the application process and physical even though I told him that it would be a waste of time because of my illness. He said not to worry, he would take care of it. Sure enough I was denied and according to the secretary at my work it was because they had failed to make payments for a number of us workers who had been laid off years ago. They cut us off during the layoff and forgot to hook us back up when we were called back.

They have since gone with a new insurance provider and tell me that I will be accepted even with my illness but so far nothing has happened. I'm nervous because I'm still quite sick. I have used up my sick leave through Employment Insurance and am now back at work, but it is really tough. My doctor told me that it would be understandable if I can't work but I can't afford to stay home with no income. Is there anything I can do in this case? Thanks, pebble.

anderson
01-23-2007, 09:04 AM
They sure did put you in a very difficult position! Maybe you should consult with a lawyer what is the best thing to do. The insurance companies are known for their lack of compassion and understanding not to mention that somebody in charge with your insurance package didn’t do what he was supposed to do...

pebble
01-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for your reply, Anderson.

At first I thought the insurance company was to blame. My boss wasn't telling me much. I thought that if I had to go after them I would. But it looks like the company I work for is to blame. I live in a small town and I'm worried that if I made a big stink about this I'll have a hard time finding work anywhere else if it came to that. I was hoping there was some level of government or someone who could give me advice on what they actually owe me, if anything. I don't want to sue.

It's very frustrating because they're not being very open with me. I have no idea how they can claim to be making a payment for me and several other workers on our paystubs but not be making it. It adds up to several hundred dollars a month and yet this went on for years and yet their accountant never noticed.

Because this money was paying for a benefit that we never received and yet other workers did, would we be entitled to it? All I know is I am a senior worker there and I am now making less then some new people because under the category 'Long Term Disability' on my paystub they are getting $60 worth of benefits and I'm getting $0.00.

This is a non union mill and so I'm not sure what kind of rights we have to our benefits, if any.

Tsveta
01-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi Pebble,
Your situation is a little messy if I may say so. I think Anderson is right, you have to consult a lawyer, not to sue them, just to get an advice.
I found this web site on google: http://www.celn.org/index.php?rollid=ask_a_lawyer
It is a Canadian Employment Rights network.
You can write them an email with your questions.

pebble
01-24-2007, 07:23 PM
The website you found looks excellent, Tsveta! I'm going to give that a try and see what happens.
Thanks so much!

Tsveta
01-25-2007, 08:48 AM
I hope you'll get answers to your questions and resolve your problem.

Cheers