Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Feels like an interview

RSTech
01-22-2007, 11:34 PM
I am self-employed and don't work for one particular company. I do have a couple of large customers that account for most of my work but do work for about a dozen different companies.

I got called last week from a large manufacturer in the city where I live. They are looking for someone like me and asked me to come in. They want me to give a presentation to a group of them and introduce them to my company, my services, and my capabilities. Boy, oh, boy, it sure feels like an interview. Not the typical employer/employee interview but I think this situation has a lot of similarities to an interview. So, I've prepared my marketing package with brochures of my services along with some technical references. I've listed some past customers and past jobs (almost like a resume).

I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. If I get in with this company it could mean a lot of work. I'm pretty curious about the kind of questions they will ask. This is a more formal approach to what I've had before when meeting with a new customer. I will post some of the questions after my interview, I mean meeting. Maybe they can help other contractors in similar situations. After all, every Request For Quote (RFQ) is kind of like an interview! Wish me luck!

Tsveta
01-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi Rob,

Well after all a presentation of your own company is almost like an interview for a job. You have to master the art of sales and negotiations.

Wish you good luck!

RSTech
01-23-2007, 11:02 PM
OK, my interview..umm. meeting went really well today. I had to present my company and skills to half a dozen engineers and then questions followed. Here were some:
1) Do you have any other references we can contact? I had provided a list of 6 references but they wanted more. I provided them with some additional references. I thought 6 was plenty!
2) Are you insured?
3) Are you currently busy?
4) How long will it take you to quote a job?
5) Are your payment terms negotiable?
6) Have you worked in a union environment before?
7) Are your services PST exempt?

It went really well, I toured two of their plants and now have 3 quotes to give them by next week. I'm looking forward to working with them; could be the start of a long term customer.

Tsveta
01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Hi RSTEch,

I hope you'll get the contract! Sounds like it!
Thank you for posting these questions. They could be of a great help to people starting their own business and meeting with potential clients.