Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : To all hiring managers out there: unusual but interesting question

curiosa
02-04-2007, 04:59 AM
I have a question for all you experienced managers: would you hire a person for a marketing/business development/Project management position, that does not have specific prior experience? Would you base your decision solely in prior specific experience, or would you look at the intrinsic potential? If you feel the person is a "peoples- person", with drive, networking/marketing skills, inter-cultural awarness, is creative, persuasive, service oriented and flexible, speaks fluently 4 languages, would you hire that person?

I am a corporate/ mergers and acquisitions lawyer at a global law firm, used to travelling, networking and managing large international clients accounts, and successfully negotiating cross-border deals for more than 6 years. But the truth is that my interests and talents lie somewhere else and I am preparing for a carrer change and going into project management/marketing/business development. I have no idea whether my profile would interest general managers, but I am willing to give it a try and go for it, but before I start contacting companies and offering my services I would like to have an idea of what i can expect. So if you are, or have once been, responsible for hiring would you hire somebody like that? I would really like to hear your thoughts?

futurepop
02-05-2007, 09:26 AM
If you feel the person is a "peoples- person", with drive, networking/marketing skills, inter-cultural awarness, is creative, persuasive, service oriented and flexible, speaks fluently 4 languages, would you hire that person?

Hi curiosa,
This is an interesting question.
I am not a hiring manager or HR but if I was I would say give it a try. Although how the interviewer would know that you have all the above qualities. The thing is they may like you but if you fail to do the job they are responsible for hiring you.
For me this is the major problem with career change.
You are a lawyer and I don't think you will have any problem convincing them you are the right person for the job.
;)