Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Are there any freelance graphic designer labour laws or regulations?

dreaimer
02-13-2007, 11:36 PM
I've been working as a freelance artist for a design firm.

Are there are any restrictions or regulations by the Canadian Government for working on freelance basis for a company. Can you work 9am-5pm, do you have to use your own equipment only, can they dictate you what hours to work, etc.

It very difficult to find this information. I tried calling a few Government branches, and law firms. They didn't seem to know anything about these laws.

Anyone knows? thx

Tsveta
02-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Hello,
do you have registered corporation or sole proprietorship?
When you are self employed it's a good idea to register a corporation and sign all your contracts through that corp.
For tax purposes you may have to use your equipment but not all the time and you can work whenever you want - according to the contract you have signed. For example if you work 9-5 you can charge overtime if you have to work late or you have to work on a weekend. It all depends of the terms of your contract.

contractor
02-16-2007, 09:20 AM
First of all, how do you get paid? Do you bill them hourly or you get paid for every project you've done?
If you get paid for each project I guess you can work from home, use your equipment and work when you want to as long as you finish the project as agreed....

I've been working as a freelance artist for a design firm.

Are there are any restrictions or regulations by the Canadian Government for working on freelance basis for a company. Can you work 9am-5pm, do you have to use your own equipment only, can they dictate you what hours to work, etc.

It very difficult to find this information. I tried calling a few Government branches, and law firms. They didn't seem to know anything about these laws.

Anyone knows? thx

dreaimer
02-16-2007, 07:30 PM
First of all, how do you get paid? Do you bill them hourly or you get paid for every project you've done?
If you get paid for each project I guess you can work from home, use your equipment and work when you want to as long as you finish the project as agreed....

I don't have a corporation and I do my taxes as self employed. I get paid by the hour, and work mostly at their office using their equipment. Usually, 9a-5p but sometimes longer hours. The contract between me and the company only states that I'm on freelance basis, my wage, and confidentiality, etc. I usually bill them per month, with the amount of hours I worked.

philip
02-18-2007, 04:39 PM
You can try going through one of the contractor compliance companies. As many companies won’t use one person corps see why on the survey at www.payprodirect.com/reclassification

contractor
02-19-2007, 10:10 AM
I don't have a corporation and I do my taxes as self employed. I get paid by the hour, and work mostly at their office using their equipment. Usually, 9a-5p but sometimes longer hours. The contract between me and the company only states that I'm on freelance basis, my wage, and confidentiality, etc. I usually bill them per month, with the amount of hours I worked.

I don't see anything unusual. What is bothering you?

dreaimer
03-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Hello,
do you have registered corporation or sole proprietorship?
When you are self employed it's a good idea to register a corporation and sign all your contracts through that corp.

Why advantages are there by working under a corporation?

contractor
03-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Why advantages are there by working under a corporation?

Hi, there are many advantages to have a corporation - you pay less tax, you claim business expenses like business travel, office supplies, postage and shipping, computer software and hardware for your business. You also deduct the percentage of your rent or mortgage used for business purposes- your office space, phone bills, internet, car, if you drive for business…
I think this thread will give you an idea- 5 tax tips for self employed: http://jobforum.ca/showthread.php?t=1026