Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Nexus Pass for U.S. Border

RSTech
02-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Anyone use the Nexus pass to cross into the United States? I expect to land a big job in the U.S. shortly and I plan on getting a TN Visa to make it easier to cross for work but I was also debating whether or not to get a Nexus pass. I'll be travelling back and forth for about 6 to 8 months; sometimes once per week, sometimes a few times a week.

lookingforjob
02-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Anyone use the Nexus pass to cross into the United States? I expect to land a big job in the U.S. shortly and I plan on getting a TN Visa to make it easier to cross for work but I was also debating whether or not to get a Nexus pass. I'll be travelling back and forth for about 6 to 8 months; sometimes once per week, sometimes a few times a week.

What exactly is a Nexus pass? I might be getting a short contract in the US soon, so any help will be appreciated.

RSTech
02-15-2007, 12:01 PM
It's like a fast pass to get across the US/Canadian border. You are prescreened to make sure you are "low risk". Here's a link http://www.tc.gc.ca/pol/en/tbwg/361.htm

lookingforjob
02-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks Rob!

I'll check the link you posted. Do you need a TN visa in order to obtain the Nexus pass?

RSTech
02-15-2007, 01:35 PM
No, you don't need a TN VISA to get the Nexus pass. Nexus seems to be more of a security pre-screening that lets you fast pass the long lines at the border. They have dedicated lanes only for Nexus card holders. But it doesn't entitle you to work in the U.S., that's a seperate thing all together.

lookingforjob
02-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi Rob,

The Nexus pass seems to be very useful if you cross the US-Canadian border frequently. I'll check the details but I don't think I'll need one just for a short contract, most of which will be done in US.

Thanks!

contractor
02-16-2007, 09:24 AM
So how do they determine if you are eligible for Nexus pass? How frequent you have to cross the border to get this pass? And I guess it is only for business travelers.

RSTech
02-18-2007, 08:51 PM
So how do they determine if you are eligible for Nexus pass? How frequent you have to cross the border to get this pass? And I guess it is only for business travelers.

There is an application available online. You need to prove citizenship and residency. Check for criminal past and that sort of thing. I don't think approval is based on how often you go across; its based on your application being accepted or not. I don't think it is only for business travellers; I didn't see any mention of that on the website. After you have applied you have a face-to-face meeting where they confirm your identity and fingerprint you and take your picture and retinal scan.

contractor
02-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks RS Tech.
So I got it completely wrong. It makes sense if they get fingerprint and retina scan....