Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Immigration for International Students

gabagail
02-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi all!
I was wondering if any of you guys came here on a study permit and moved on (or are moving on) to obtaining your immigration here.

I came here when i was barely 18 so I don't have much work experience except my one year post grad job that i'm currently working at (post grad work permit) and a three yr diploma I completed when I was on a study permit.
The skilled worker process doesn't seem very promising because of my lack of sufficient work experience...

I'd love to know what others like me have been doing...

lana
03-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi, Can you just stay in Canada with work permit and after you gain experience apply for PR?

gabagail
03-28-2007, 02:49 AM
Yeh, I did think about that. I am trying to get a work permit extension but my job is customer service and it's very tough to switch to a work permit from a student visa.
Has anyone successfully tried this before?

contractor
03-29-2007, 09:57 AM
You have to try. Did you try finding different job that will secure your work permit?

gabagail
03-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Well, I am trying but it's hard because most employers don't want to hire foreign workers unless it's skilled or highly professional work. I got turned down once because companies would rather hire someone who can start next week or right away than waste time and money hiring a foreign worker.
That's why I wanted to know if anyone tried this and was successful before.
Thanks though, I really appreciate the feedback

Tsveta
03-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I got turned down once because companies would rather hire someone who can start next week or right away than waste time and money hiring a foreign worker.

That's true. This is one of the reasons why people can't find a job remotely.

Employers hate to go through all the hassle of the hiring process. Maybe a recruiting company will be able to help you; they are like a middle man between you and the employer. They hire you and the employer has a contract with them.