Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Question on education for child aged 17

lynn42
02-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi, we are moving to vancouver from the UK in 2008. My eldest son is taking his GCSE's this year and A levels after that. My second son starts his GCSE's in September. Has anyone been through this with thier own children, if so how did your child, children cope? any advise would be much appreciated. Do you know of any websites that may help me.
Lynn

Tsveta
02-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi, in which province are you going to settle?
Do you want your sons to continue their education once you settle?
Do you need more information about Universities and Colleges in Canada?

lynn42
02-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi, we are going to settle in BC, West Vancouver or possibly on vancouver island close to Victoria. Yes my sons would continue their education in canada, the intention is for them to go to university.
I am looking for any advice/information that you can offer. The ages of my sons at the time of entering Canada will be 17, 15, and two 9 year olds (twins).
I do not have too much concern about the twins as they will be young enough to adapt easily. My elder sons are my main concern as I am not sure what will happen if my sons are half way through their A levels and GCSE's at the time of moving. Will any work done (exam results) be recognised, will they find it all so different or are things much the same in Canadian schools as they are in the UK?
Lynn

Tsveta
02-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Hi Lynn, The schools are not so different from UK. As for the recognition of GCSE's you can contact the local School Board: http://www.vsb.bc.ca/default.htm

This is list of Canadian Universities and Colleges: http://www.uottawa.ca/inetres/cdnlist.html
I think you may find it helpful too.

lynn42
02-25-2007, 04:24 AM
Hi Tsveta

Thank you for your help, I have contacted the school board and am waiting to hear from them.
Thanks again
Lynn

sence
12-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Hello,
We are a family intend to move to Quebec from oversees next year. After a little search on the internet I realized that people tend to send their children to private school in Quebec. I also find Fraser Institute's reserach (3 years ago) and did not like the result. Provincial exam result of english board public schools are very low. I was wondering if there is any first hand expericence on this issue.
Thank you.