Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Canada

sunshine girl
03-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Hello All!

Just introducing myself. I'm new...

I am Aussie girl arriving in Canada end of June. I want to find work in Alberta but I know I must have an offer of employment for a work permit.

My question is to anyone familiar with the hospitality industry there. I know several positions in the industry are classified as 'occupations under pressure' by immigration Canada. (I only want to work for a couple of years).

I work as a Front Desk Clerk and Food and Beverage Attendant. I have 12 years experience in hospitality but does anyone know what I'm up against? In Australia hospitality is not seen as being a highly skilled job, but employers will value you highly if you have the experience. Is is the same in Canada?

Does anyone know how I will be received when I go on the job hunt? Is it a deterrant for potential Employers to have to go through the red tape with Service Canada in order to hire a Foreigner? I know there are extreme shortages in this industry over there, but how bad is bad?

I am also a qualified Travel Agent and Swedish Massage Therapist, but don't think my qualifications in Massage will be recognised there in Canada.

I really like Canadians and hope to make my dream come true... Actually, I'm pretty keen on one in particular ;)

Any help is appreciated!

Sunshine Girl

Tsveta
03-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Hello,
Are you going to try to find a remotely? It is much much easier to find a job if you are here in Canada. Do you need a visa to come to Canada?

sunshine girl
03-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi Tsveta!

I will be in Canada for 6 weeks and during that time I will be keeping my ears and eyes open - so I will look when I'm there. I am coming over to sight-see and visit some Canadian friends...

Sunshine Girl

sunshine girl
03-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Oh, and I do not need a visa for 6 months while I am in Canada...

Sunshine Girl

Tsveta
03-20-2007, 10:55 AM
It will be much easier to look for a job while you are here. Get your resume straight and if you have time you can start your job hunt.

sunshine girl
03-21-2007, 03:40 AM
Sounds like good advice. Thanks Tsveta!

I'm still interested in hearing from anyone in the same situation who has had positive results :)

Sunshine Girl

Aussie_girl
03-26-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm going to Alberta because I know people there... :)

Aussie_girl (previously Sunshine Girl)