Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Should I offer a particular "product" or a service?

praefect
03-21-2007, 12:17 PM
I am thinking (and yes, this is quite preliminary) about starting a business of my own to suppliment my income.

I am a software developer by trade and education. As such, I can see to possible routes which I can go - either create a program of some nature, and try to market it to a specific market, or I can offer a service - something like affordable custom software for small businesses in my area. Which route do you see as being more viable? Also, does anyone have any advice as to how to get started if I go the "service" route?

Alternatively, I have been considering the various freelancer sites online. Would this prove a better route, and what kind of issues will I need to deal with if I do sign up with them (for arguments sake, lets assume the site itself is reputable) given that almost all of the sites I have seen are outside of Canada. Are there any good Canadian resources/alternatives?

Thank you for all assistance.
Rob

contractor
03-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi, you can do both in your spare time until you got a steady income from one of them to concentrate on your business.
To create “custom software for small businesses" may be a big project and it can take years to finish it. What do you have in mind? Can you do it alone or would you need to a partner? You have to consider all these things before starting your project. And when it is done, how would you market it?
It is not an easy job to start a business and you have to carefully think about everything.

As for the freelance, you can certainly do that but if it is time consuming when will you have time to work on you "software project"? :)

I guess I ask too many questions :)

Tsveta
03-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi, you can work remotely/from home. I know a lot of software developers who work on contracts from home.

Paul
04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
I can offer a service - something like affordable custom software for small businesses in my area. Which route do you see as being more viable? Also, does anyone have any advice as to how to get started if I go the "service" route?

Hi Rob, What kind of custom software for small businesses do you have in mind?

praefect
04-03-2007, 11:09 AM
First off, thank you all for the reply's. And sorry for the lateness of my response.

Paul: I don't really have an idea currently (unfortunately). That does tend to be my weaker area - coming up with the idea of what to build. But once I have one, I can expand on it easily (yes, feature creep is a glorious thing, but also problematic). One idea was an inventory control/warehouse application. Yes, I have not looked at the existing software currently targetting small business in this area, but I do have experience with writing simmilar applications for previous employers. And I am open to ideas! Another thought was some sort of application to assist general contractors (though again, what specific application, i am not certain).

Contractor: Yes, you do have many questions :) - but they are all good and valid. Marketing it would be a challenge - I was thinking along the lines of the various software sites online, and possibly targetting individuals on the various hire a freelancer sites. But you are very correct - it takes time. As for the freelancing - I am interested, but not certain how to get started. Do you have any suggestions?

Tvesta: Telecomuting/working from home is all well and good, but I need the employment to pull that off!

Again, thank you all for the input.

Rob