Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Apply for Temporary Resident Visa at border??

astachel
04-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi,

I am planning on visiting Saskatchewan starting in June for 6 months. I have my paperwork in order for the Temporary Resident Visa application, but just realized they need me to send my actual passport in with the application. Given that it is just about 8 weeks away, I am worried that I might not get the visa and passport back in time.

Then I saw this on the CIC Canada web site:

"Note: If you are from the United States, Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon, you can apply at a Canadian port of entry."

I've applied for student visas at the border before and have had no problem. Is it reasonable to expect that I could do the same in this situation?

Has anybody applied for the Temporary Resident Visa at the border before?

Thanks

Tsveta
04-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi,

I am planning on visiting Saskatchewan starting in June for 6 months. I have my paperwork in order for the Temporary Resident Visa application, but just realized they need me to send my actual passport in with the application. Given that it is just about 8 weeks away, I am worried that I might not get the visa and passport back in time.

Then I saw this on the CIC Canada web site:

"Note: If you are from the United States, Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon, you can apply at a Canadian port of entry."

I've applied for student visas at the border before and have had no problem. Is it reasonable to expect that I could do the same in this situation?

Has anybody applied for the Temporary Resident Visa at the border before?

Thanks

Well if this is what they say, I don't see a problem. You can call the CIC and ask them to confirm it.

astachel
04-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks Tsveta, I realize that I am asking a question that I've technically found the answer to already, but I guess I am always nervous about crossing the border without the paperwork in hand ahead of time. Also, I'll be driving from the east coast, so I'm investing a lot of travel up front before even getting to the border.

However, this is the way I did it when I studied in Vancouver (applied for Student Visa at Vancouver Airport), and though my palms were sweating, there was no problem (of course I had an acceptance letter then).

Thanks again