Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Job Search Advice

Drdebs
05-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi

I am on the forum from Belfast NI. I am intending to move to British Columbia (Vancouver Island) in 2009 (Visa time-scale) and wondered if anyone could offer some advice. I currently work as a statistician (11 years) and I also have extensive GIS experience. I was wondering if I should attempt to search for a job in advance of emmigrating to BC as I have read it is very difficult to do this without a canadian address? I am well educated with a BSc, a PhD and am currently studying for an MSc in GIS but there are so few statistician's posts (outside of BC Stats) advertised. I can also do research so perhaps I should try this avenue? Any advice offered would be great.

Many thanks
Deborah

Tsveta
05-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi, it is true that it's not easy to get a job outside of Canada. Most of the employers are not willing to go through all the paperwork involved I guess and they prefer to meet with potential employees who are already in Canada. You may try the major job banks - monster.ca and workopolis.com and try contacting recruiting agencies (http://jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=1)in your field.