Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Finding work

Aussie_girl
06-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Hi,

I will be in Canada next week and I want to know the best place to start my search for work.

I am staying with Canadian friends and I don't have a work permit, or a visa (I don't need one if I'm here for 6 mths or less). I know the requirements of finding a firm job offer, then applying for a work permit. I also know I have to leave the Country to apply for my work permit.

However, can someone please give me some tips on how I start my search? Expecially since, I don't have current permission to seek employment in Canada, etc. I don't want to do the wrong thing and I won't, but I need to start somewhere...

Tsveta
06-25-2007, 10:25 AM
It depends on the job you are looking for. What kind of job do you have in mind?

Aussie_girl
06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
I am looking for either spa (massage) work, Hospitality (any), Hotel Receptionist, or Admin Roles. I can do either... I am going to be in Calgary, Alberta...

Thank you

lana
06-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Check out Workopolis.com and Monster.ca
Summer is kind of slow for the jobseekers but give it a try.

Tsveta
07-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I am looking for either spa (massage) work, Hospitality (any), Hotel Receptionist, or Admin Roles. I can do either... I am going to be in Calgary, Alberta...

Thank you

You can get your Resume and head off to Banff. There are numerous hotels in the area so you may find a job for the winter season. The thing that you have no work permit makes it a little complicated because they have to do some paperwork before they hire you but you never know.
Good luck

Aussie_girl
07-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the help lana and Tsveta!

Tsveta
07-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the help lana and Tsveta!

Hi Aussie girl, Any luck so far?

Aussie_girl
07-09-2007, 04:06 PM
HI Tsveta!

I haven't really started a full search yet... but will keep you posted. Gonna try to have a look in Calgary first, and go from there... :)

Aussie_girl
07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
... but a lot of people I talk to seem to have a negative take on it ... which is kinda downing ... If you're over 31 (working visa) your past it :eek:

Aussie_girl
07-14-2007, 05:35 PM
HI,

I walked about Calgary the other day and put my Resume into a few Hotel Chains...

I was questioned re: My Work Permit (or lack of), once. However, once I explained to the prospective employer how the work permit process worked, they suddenly seemed mildly interested... They said they had been advertising certain positions month on end, with no success of filling them...

I think there is a bit of ignorance re: The Work Permit, thus far. Employers seem to lack the knowledge, therefore, they think is may be too hard... When it really isn't that much of a big deal. If you need workers and can't find them, what's a bit of paperwork!!??

I am feeling more optimistic and will head to Banff next week with my Resume in tow. Calgary seems expensive to live and the public transport system seems like a hassle...

Will keep ya posted on my work adventure...

Tsveta
07-16-2007, 10:20 AM
HI,

I think there is a bit of ignorance re: The Work Permit, thus far. Employers seem to lack the knowledge, therefore, they think is may be too hard... When it really isn't that much of a big deal. If you need workers and can't find them, what's a bit of paperwork!!??

I think you are right about that. Most of the employers don't know what is involved and don't want to bother. This is why it is so difficult to find a job remotely. Canada needs people to work in different areas and industries but still the employers don't want to look abroad for help. And Alberta has a big shortage of work force.... They are simply not flexible.

I hope you'll find a job soon!

Aussie_girl
07-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks. I will keep you posted on the outcome. Maybe, others can benefit from this as well... :)

security
08-24-2007, 10:36 AM
I wish you success

my dream of going to Canada

I am an engineer with the Microsoft

Please help me any person sends me mail to me

Secuirty4syria@hotmail.com

Microsoft@aloola.sy