Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Experience or education?

Tim
02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Is experience more important than education these days?

Particularly in the IT field, do employers look more at what sort of practical experience you've had, rather than how many degrees you have earned?
________
Yamaha XS650 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XS650)

Ladyluck
02-22-2006, 07:25 PM
With IT, I would say yes.
Also they look more so at your business knowledge rather than technical skills.
They also want a good communicator.

That is not to say a degree does not help - I believe it does.
But you can certainly get a good job without one.

Tim
02-22-2006, 07:38 PM
With IT, I would say yes.
Also they look more so at your business knowledge rather than technical skills.
They also want a good communicator.

That is not to say a degree does not help - I believe it does.
But you can certainly get a good job without one.

hmm ok, I thought so.
I have alot of experience, but no pieces of paper yet.

I am worried about applying for jobs against guys who have double degrees and other fancy qualifications.
Does anyone have any stats related to non-qualified people gaining employment in IT?
________
vapor genie (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

anderson
08-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Why would they need a good communicator for IT? If you are in Sales, of course but if you are a developer good people skills are enough. I think that a diploma in a few years can get you a seniority position and a better salary. You can never be a senior developer in IT for example without a diploma. It least get a Microsoft Certification!

lookingforjob
08-23-2006, 07:59 AM
I think you need excellent communication skills for almost any IT position. Most likely your job responsibilities will include gathering project requirements and talking to the client, so having good communication skills is important.

Tsveta
08-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Is experience more important than education these days?

Particularly in the IT field, do employers look more at what sort of practical experience you've had, rather than how many degrees you have earned?

I can not say which is more important. Both experience and education are valuable assets any if you have experience try to get a diploma; this will increase your chances on getting a better job. If you already have diploma and no experience, you will start like everybody else, entry level position for a start :) But in a couple of years you'll be glad you invested in studying.

morgan86
10-17-2006, 08:49 AM
I think both are important! I have no experience and I work part-time now. I have a BA and still I found an entry level position and the pay is really low. So I’m thinking that you need both to achieve something! Am I right?

contractor
10-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Absolutely! Experience and Education go hand in hand on your way to successful career.

I think both are important! I have no experience and I work part-time now. I have a BA and still I found an entry level position and the pay is really low. So I’m thinking that you need both to achieve something! Am I right?

futurepop
10-26-2006, 09:23 AM
It depends of what you want. If you want a career you need both, education and experience. If you are working in a non office environment, let’s say you are working in a farm or you are welder, that sort of thing, the most important will be experience.

mika
11-01-2006, 09:38 AM
This is one of my biggest dilemmas! I am a contractor and before each extension I'm thinking of going back to school but it doesn’t happen. Soon it is going to be too late for me to go back... :(

Ascended
11-19-2006, 02:32 PM
yah, combo of street smarts and a resume to back you up, u could be excellent in theory work, but if you cant' apply it your futile.