Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Salary info

newincanada
02-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Do you have any idea what is an average salary for insurance underwriter?

Ronin
02-23-2006, 09:46 PM
No, not exactly. But this site lists many professions with average salary's
http://www.salaryexpert.com/

It should give you some idea. :)

newincanada
02-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Thank you very much for the info!

Tsveta
02-26-2006, 02:29 PM
You can check wht the average salary is here: http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=13
Just select the job and your postal code.

Ladyluck
02-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Two very good resources there, thank you guys.
I wonder how accurate they are though? I know every company differs with salary.

Administrator
02-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Two very good resources there, thank you guys.
I wonder how accurate they are though? I know every company differs with salary.

Remember that all these salary stats, show just the average salary for certain profession in certain area. If you are highly qualified in your field of expertise than you can get much better pay than then the average. On the other hand you can get less if you don't have enough experience.

Ronin
02-27-2006, 05:16 PM
I wonder what the reaction of the employer would be if one walked into an interview with these stats?
Would you ever take the plunge and do that?

Administrator
02-28-2006, 10:49 AM
I wonder what the reaction of the employer would be if one walked into an interview with these stats?
Would you ever take the plunge and do that?

I wouldn't do that :). If you are negotiating a salary then you can mention what are the going rates for your qualification in this area to justify what you want. In any case you have to research the job market and the yearly salaries really well before doing something like that.

lowlight22
02-28-2006, 10:05 PM
hehe that would be a risk!
I think it would turn them off hiring you if you did that.

Its natural to take interest in the salary for a prospective job, but I would not bring up "averages" as Im sure they are already well aware of it.

Administrator
03-02-2006, 12:30 PM
hehe that would be a risk!
I think it would turn them off hiring you if you did that.

Its natural to take interest in the salary for a prospective job, but I would not bring up "averages" as Im sure they are already well aware of it.

The employer might be aware of the averages or he/she might not. Another thing to consider is the fact that the employer usually has a pay range vs. set rate. For example a web developer position might pay between $40 and $50 per hour depending on the qualification and experience of the applicant. At the end the person hired for this position might get anywhere between $40 and $50 per hour, which will not change the nature or the workload of this job. Think about it :)

Ronin
03-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Exactly right!
And, the employers knows there is always someone out there willing to work for less.

I believe this is the toughest challenge we face - finding the balance between getting the job we want and competing against other people that may be willing to work for less money than we are.

Administrator
03-02-2006, 05:57 PM
The only way to be competitive if you want good wage is to improve your qualifications and knowledge. Smart employers know that if they hire the right person for a job, he/she can do more for the company than 4-5 workers with lower wages, which have lower qualification or less experience.

Jon
03-04-2006, 03:16 AM
There has to be something which marks you out from the rest of the crowd - qualifications, hobbies, the way you handle the interview all help in showing that you're better equipped for the job.

It'll also pay dividends when it comes to salary negotiations with prospective employers ;)

Tricky
03-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Yep, you need to sell yourself.
That is the key to getting "that" job - be better than the rest.

Forget money. Just tell them exactly what you can do for them.

You'd be surprised how quickly an employer will turn if they are 100% sure that you are the right person for the job.

The key is to making them think you they need YOU rather than that you need them.