Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Job Market?

Stephen
08-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Hi,

I'm planning to apply as an independent immigrant and I want to get a feeling how is the job market and the general economy in Canada? I'm a software engineer with 5 years of professional experience, so if any of you knows how is the software market at the moment, please let me know.

Most likely I'll come to Ontario (Toronto first maybe?), but I'm willing to relocate if I find a decent job in another Canadian city (it might be in different province) I don't mind.

Tsveta
08-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Hi Stephen,
I don’t know from which country you will be applying for immigrating but the process can take up to 2 years. The job market is a little quiet right now but usually the fall is the busiest season and the economy is recovering now so there will be job openings.
It is good that you will be flexible to relocate - that way will be easier to find a job.

Administrator
08-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Hi Stephen,

Welcome to JobForum.ca :).

Finding your first job here in Canada is a serious challenge for most of the newcomers, as they have to compete with established professionals having many years of Canadian experience. However, you are a software developer and taking in consideration the fact that you have 5 years of experience it shouldn't be that difficult to find a good position.

The software market is rebounding strongly and my advise is to start your job search prior your move to Canada, just to get the idea what are the employers looking for in terms of expertise and experience.

You have much better chances to find a job in the big Canadian cities like Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc.

Do you have a university degree? What is your technology background?

Stephen
08-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys :)

Do you have a university degree? What is your technology background?
I'm a Master of Computer Science, and I have experience with C++, Java, SQL Server 7 and SQL Server 2000.

Thank you very much,

Steve