Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Carpentry in Saskatoon.

FrankieFourFingers
09-10-2007, 02:05 AM
I'm moving to Saskatoon in about three weeks, and I'm trying to get a feel, for the work that's available in the city for carpenters, especially one who is pretty much unskilled, which I am.

I'm leaving the military, moving from Victoria BC, and decided on carpentry, because it's something I've done a little of before. Well, I've swung a hammer quite a bit, and I'm use to physical labour. And I want a job that I know I will enjoy, and that will be in demand. I've applied for the introductory course to carpentry at SIAST, which I was told was a good idea.

Anyway, what I'm looking for, like I said, is a little help, just to be pointed in the right direction, of where to look for a place that will bring me on, as an unskilled worker, and hopefully, eventually an apprentice carpenter.

Also, I was wondering about the Carpenter Union. Do I have to, or should I join the union right away? Or is it something that I have to wait until I have a job in the work force first, before applying for membership?

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Tsveta
09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi , I guess the introductory course you have applied for can give you an idea where is the best place to look for job in Sask. You can join the union if you have a certificate I guess, but better ask a fellow carpenter first. Also consider any fee for union members before applying.

FrankieFourFingers
09-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi , I guess the introductory course you have applied for can give you an idea where is the best place to look for job in Sask. You can join the union if you have a certificate I guess, but better ask a fellow carpenter first. Also consider any fee for union members before applying.

Thank you for your help. But I'm also looking for work in the trade now, if I can get it. The course doesn't start until January, so I have atleast a few months to kill before I start, and some experience would be great.

Bravo Zulu
09-21-2008, 04:57 AM
I'm moving to Saskatoon in about three weeks, and I'm trying to get a feel, for the work that's available in the city for carpenters, especially one who is pretty much unskilled, which I am.

I'm leaving the military, moving from Victoria BC, and decided on carpentry, because it's something I've done a little of before. Well, I've swung a hammer quite a bit, and I'm use to physical labour. And I want a job that I know I will enjoy, and that will be in demand. I've applied for the introductory course to carpentry at SIAST, which I was told was a good idea.

Anyway, what I'm looking for, like I said, is a little help, just to be pointed in the right direction, of where to look for a place that will bring me on, as an unskilled worker, and hopefully, eventually an apprentice carpenter.

Also, I was wondering about the Carpenter Union. Do I have to, or should I join the union right away? Or is it something that I have to wait until I have a job in the work force first, before applying for membership?

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Cheers

BZ