Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Do I need further education?

Simon
08-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Hi,

I attend ESL and before 2 months I went with my class to visit George Brown College. We met 2 professors there who told us about their programs and assured us that we will be able to find a job before we finish the college, because they have programs to meet you with future employers and the employers are looking for students with good grades. I need to know is this true, is that the way to find a job in a prosperous company and most of all does it worth it to take a loan and spend the next 2 years studying? Do you think this will increase my chances to find a job?

Vera
08-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Well I have a friend who attended college but not the full 2 year course, just a few weekends for 2 months, I believe. He got a license after the course and he found a job as an electrician. I don’t know what is your specialty but it may help you to finish a course or something. He didn’t find his job through the college but the certification helped him, so… you know if you struggle with the job search maybe it will help you J
And I’ve heard that a lot of students work during their last semester for a company in the field they are in, like a coop-student, so it will be a benefit for you, you’ll get to know some people, or they might like you there, you never know.

lowlight22
02-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Yes studying always increases job chances.
There are not many circumstances where I would not recommend studying.

Even if you do it part time, it would be fantastic to have that on your resume :)

trappercase
03-09-2006, 12:50 PM
What are you interested in studying? I would encourage you to think long and hard about what your aptitudes are and try to study something related to them. It is discouraging shelling out a lot of money on school and finding out that you do not enjoy it. Good Luck!

Tim
03-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Most courses do not cost alot, not at a college or a short course.
You don't know if you try, so don't let money stop you.

Learning is the fruit of life - you won't regret it.

trappercase
03-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Don't count out online education or correspondence. There has been quite a growth in these systems in recent times.

Jon
03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Don't count out online education or correspondence. There has been quite a growth in these systems in recent times.

Agreed - I'm doing one myself (A Shakespeare course in my extra time) and can provide a really good way of getting extra qualifications in your spare time.

Just make sure you are disciplined enough though - it is self help and you have to teach yourself, something which people don't often like as it can be pretty tough at times.

whitey
03-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Yes, there are many places offering online courses now.
You just need to weed out the bad ones, and there are many bad ones.

In my research I have found online courses to be quite costly.
Are there any "cheap" alternatives?

trappercase
03-16-2006, 09:39 AM
I t depends on what you want to study. I found a great Web Marketing and Search Engine Optimization course that had no strings attached and was FREE!

Jon
03-16-2006, 03:28 PM
I t depends on what you want to study. I found a great Web Marketing and Search Engine Optimization course that had no strings attached and was FREE!

Thing is, you need something which is recognised by employers

sleek
03-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes, alot of those marketing courses are just set up by individuals.
It's fine for your person learning, but not for showing prospective employers.

You are better off studying through a recognized institution.