Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Resume specifics

Ronin
02-27-2006, 05:18 PM
When you list your previous jobs on your resume, how far into detail do you go about the job?

Do you list every single task you did at that job?
Or do you just list the job title?

trappercase
03-07-2006, 02:05 PM
I say keep it short and to the point. Definitely include the skills that are of interest to the prospective employer. But leave it in point form. You could also outline all skills in another sub-heading. I cannot stress enough to keep the resume short. One pagers are the best. Keep it to the highlights and save something for the interview.

April
03-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Yes, mine is only one page as well. Even then you will find they hardly read it.

As for past jobs, I only list skills if they really apply to the new job I'm applying for.
If they are completely irrelevant to my new job then i usually omit those past jobs completely from my resume.

trappercase
03-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Yes, mine is only one page as well. Even then you will find they hardly read it.

As for past jobs, I only list skills if they really apply to the new job I'm applying for.
If they are completely irrelevant to my new job then i usually omit those past jobs completely from my resume.

Good point, but be prepared to explain the gaps in your resume. Make sure you are honest. You can be honest without going into details about reasons for leaving past jobs that may hurt your chances.

whitey
03-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Explaining those gaps can be tough!
I have even made up several reasons for gaps between jobs.
Including:

Travelling
New baby
Short Courses

Some of the times it's true, but don't be afraid to tell a "white lie" to get them off your back.

trappercase
03-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Yeah. Playing Hacky Sack at the beach for five months might not go over that well. ;)

Jon
03-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Explaining those gaps can be tough!
I have even made up several reasons for gaps between jobs.
Including:

Travelling
New baby
Short Courses

Some of the times it's true, but don't be afraid to tell a "white lie" to get them off your back.

Make sure you can provide detailed explanations/descriptions of the above on request;) You never know what's going to come up in an interview.

Ronin
03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys!

Talk about good advice on this forum, I really feel more sure of myself and prepared after asking all my silly questions here first :D http://playroost.com/

lookingforjob
03-29-2006, 09:38 AM
There are no silly questions. Most of the time it is silly not to ask something if you don't know the answer :).