Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Short jobs on resume

Ronin
02-27-2006, 05:19 PM
I've had a few shorter jobs in my life - eg some jobs just didnt work out after 3 or 4 months so I quite for one reason or another.

Should I delete these from my resume, as they can make me look unreliable.

Or should I leave them on there?

Tsveta
02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
It depends what type of job you are looking for. Is it a seasonal student job, contracting or permanent position? If you are looking for a job for the summer season or you want to work on a contract it should be fine.

Bronco
03-01-2006, 04:42 PM
If i have quit or been sacked from short term jobs in the past, I wont put them on my resume.
I have had at least 4 jobs that have never seen the light of day on my resume, due to the fact that I dont want to explain to an employer why I left so soon.

trappercase
03-07-2006, 01:51 PM
If you gave proper notice, left for a good reason and the experience is relevant, I would leave it on. Make sure your reason isn't something like "I didn't like the manager" or anything like that. Gaps in a resume are just as unattractive as short jobs. Also, if it is not a lot of short jobs in a row, most employers will understand that some jobs are not what the employee thinks it is.

Ronin
03-28-2006, 04:34 PM
thanks for the responses :)
Well the real reasons I left WERE because I didnt like the jobs.. but I cant exactly say that.

I may just leave them off altogether, I dont see a benefit to leaving them on.
I can just say I was self studying during that time ;)

lookingforjob
03-29-2006, 09:43 AM
thanks for the responses :)
Well the real reasons I left WERE because I didnt like the jobs.. but I cant exactly say that.

I may just leave them off altogether, I dont see a benefit to leaving them on.
I can just say I was self studying during that time ;)

You can leave them on your resume (unless they are too many) and say something like "I left because I was looking for more challenging position...".
In Canada and North America in general it is very common for people to change jobs many times during their career. This is the easiest way to advance :).

Administrator
03-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Your resume is your most important job hunting tool. It doesn't make sense to put something embarrassing there, even if indeed happened. Be aware that the recruiters and employers may ask for references to cross-check their facts, so try not to lie at least :).

Ronin
04-03-2006, 01:35 AM
That would be the worst thing, if you lied then they checked it out.
Even if you dont have companies listed on your resume, employers may still contact companies to ask about you.

Simon
04-11-2006, 02:02 PM
I have short jobs on my Resume but this is because I am a contractor. In Canada the contracts are shorter compared to the US for example. Nothing to worry about I think, it is just the way it is. Look at the bright side; It is all experience!;)

workaholic
04-16-2006, 01:10 AM
I think as long as it doesn't leave any gaps in your employment history it would probably be alright to leave them off. I think employers frown on times of unemployment more than they do short term jobs.

On another note. If the work is relevant to what you are applying for, it would probably be a good idea to leave them on the resume.