Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Starting at the bottom

April
03-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Alot of people do not want to start at the bottom of the company in their first job.

Just a tip for you all - starting at the bottom is not so bad.
Most people start at the lowest company position, and within 1-2 years have moved into a new role.

Within 5 years you could double your income and beyond that, can move into senior roles.

So stick with it and dont give up!

Administrator
03-01-2006, 08:27 PM
I've never worked on a permanent position, but yes there are opportunities if you stay with a good company long enough.

Vera
03-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I completely agree. You can't expect to start as a manager with no experience. I came to Canada 5 years ago and I wanted to be a swimming instructor and a teacher. Well I started as a volunteer first and now I am swimming instructor. It took a lot of time and hard work, I needed a few more licenses and TOEFL but all paid off.

Ronin
03-02-2006, 04:31 PM
So many people go wrong thinking they can get the highest paying job to start with.
People often give up before giving themself a chance to grow with a company.

Isaac
03-02-2006, 08:15 PM
If you can get there without hard work, you can get thrown back to the dogs just as easily. If you take time to work your way up you get contacts in the business and get to know people, even if you do lose your job you've got a good foothold to do some networking... Hard work pays off!

lookingforjob
03-06-2006, 09:59 AM
If you can get there without hard work, you can get thrown back to the dogs just as easily. If you take time to work your way up you get contacts in the business and get to know people, even if you do lose your job you've got a good foothold to do some networking... Hard work pays off!

The sad fact is that even if you work hard and have been with a company for many years, you still can end unemployed for no good reason (sudden change of management, budget not enough, etc.). That's why I work only on contracts. I have seen too many permanent employees laid-off, and I don't think "permanent job" means secure job anymore. Take what you can, while you can ;).

lowlight22
03-07-2006, 03:54 PM
It happens in every field. BUt if you prove yourself valuable enough to a company, they are less likely to let you go.

Contract work can be profitable, but what do you do in times of a dry period?

trappercase
03-08-2006, 08:18 AM
I graduated from UNB business in '92 and started at Don Cherry's Grapevine as a HOST that spring. Within four years I was assistant manager and two years later I was the general manager. I have since moved on, but if you are worth it you will advance, if not your experience will be valuable for your next position.

ComDriver
03-11-2006, 04:34 PM
I think working your way from the bottom up is quite a good way to build up experience and knowledge and the hard work will certainly pay off in the long run.

Jon
03-15-2006, 03:13 PM
The sad fact is that even if you work hard and have been with a company for many years, you still can end unemployed for no good reason (sudden change of management, budget not enough, etc.). That's why I work only on contracts. I have seen too many permanent employees laid-off, and I don't think "permanent job" means secure job anymore. Take what you can, while you can ;).

At the end of the day, employees are just another commodity for businesses to cut when they need to save money - it's a harsh reality, you've got to make yourself indespendsible to the company.

Canadian Tutors Associati
03-25-2006, 09:53 PM
One thing about starting at the bottom is that you'll learn how the company works... not just how it makes money, but its corporate culture, its internal programs / systems, etc.

Sometimes entering a company as a manager or above may not enable you to learn the basics and have empathy for someone "at the bottom". This experience may allow you to lead better, since people can identify with you... :)

April
05-24-2006, 09:08 PM
You are right there, good point.
Its good to know how the lower positions work just in case you become a manager some time and need to know exactly what it is those people are doing. gambling ("http://pokerverse.net/") http://riffpoker.net

abdelali83
06-04-2006, 08:46 AM
i wante to immigrate in canada plesase help me
bigkiss83@hotmail.com

lookingforjob
06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi abdelali83,

Do you have any professional certifications or college/university degrees?
If you have, then you might be able to qualify as an independent immigrant.
Give us more information about your background, and we might be able to help.

Ladyluck
06-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi abdelali83,

Do you have any professional certifications or college/university degrees?
If you have, then you might be able to qualify as an independent immigrant.
Give us more information about your background, and we might be able to help.

Also start a new thread as this one is dedicated to something else :)

Good luck abdelali83, and you've come to the right place for advice :)