Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Are you self employed?

Isaac
03-02-2006, 08:14 PM
How many people on here are actually self employed?
I'm currently self employed, with a website management contract with a local business. It's working out well so far. I do the work from home and then I have a weekly meeting with the coordinator and her investor. What is your self employment like?

ComDriver
03-06-2006, 05:44 PM
I would also like to know about this kind of thing aswell, and if it's easy and worth all the hard work at the beginning.

trappercase
03-07-2006, 12:26 PM
I am currently working for someone. I have the entrepreneur bug, though. I am starting to dabble in writing and e-commerce but at this point I am just learning and soaking up the knowledge. I eventually would like to become an Innkeeper. I either have to do it now while the kids are young of wait until they are done high school as I wouldn't want to uproot them when they are in high or middle school.

Tim
05-11-2006, 06:53 PM
entrepreneur bug - i know that that feels like!
Its like you know what you want to do,but just need the time and money etc to start.

But now is as good a time as ever I say :)

lookingforjob
05-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I've been self employeed for the last several years and I'm not going back! I know I work for myself and I get better results (more income, more free time, more satisfaction), if a permanent employee works hard he/she gets tap on the shoulder :).

philip
09-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Now you have that entrepreneur bug nothing else will do but to try it. An easy way to do that is by using a portable company, rather than setting up a corp. take a look at [EDIT: NO SELF PROMOTION ALLOWED] (I am bias as I have money invested)

lana
09-25-2006, 08:57 AM
To register a corporation is not a big deal. It takes a couple of hours but it saves you big bucks!

philip
09-25-2006, 09:19 AM
To register a corporation is not a big deal. It takes a couple of hours but it saves you big bucks!
It certainly can save some great money if used in the right way, if not it is an on going costs that doesn’t always solve the problem it was set up for. If you only have one or two clients then working through a limited company might not be the way to go. RevCanada are testing more and more contractors and reclassifying them as employee of the end client rather than allowing them to work through the limited company. I know a good number of companies that won’t work with one person limited companies any more for just this reason. If you have more clients, know how to work the tax system (or have a great accountant) and can handle the paper work, then limited co. is probably the way to go. I work with both contractors and limited companies, bundling them up chasing down bulk discounts for them with pension providers, insurance companies and the rest.

contractor
09-27-2006, 09:56 AM
How many people on here are actually self employed?
I'm currently self employed, with a website management contract with a local business. It's working out well so far. I do the work from home and then I have a weekly meeting with the coordinator and her investor. What is your self employment like?

I know a lot of people who are self-employed. You are lucky that you can work from home all the time.

philip
10-10-2006, 07:26 PM
come on then lets see that go get bug, show through, lets get contracts rolling, be in charge of your own destine, start up a company or better still go portable, and e mail me at payprodirect, seize the day

Paul
10-31-2006, 12:55 PM
I used to be self employed but was recently converted to full time. I am looking for a job right now (contract again).
I have a friend who recently found a contract opportunity and the beauty is that he works from home most of the time. He has to go to the office 1-2 times a week!
I wish I’m that lucky!

contractor
11-01-2006, 09:23 AM
I used to be self employed but was recently converted to full time. I am looking for a job right now (contract again).
I have a friend who recently found a contract opportunity and the beauty is that he works from home most of the time. He has to go to the office 1-2 times a week!
I wish I’m that lucky!

It is not only luck, it is patience; patience not to get the first contract on the way.

Paul
11-02-2006, 09:59 AM
It is not only luck, it is patience; patience not to get the first contract on the way.

You are right. When you are not pressured to find a job you are more relaxed and you take your time. Honestly I am not good at that.

RSTech
11-03-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm a self-employed Electrical Technologist. I've been doing it for 2.5 years now. I meet with my customers at their site (plant) to discuss projects and then perform my design and programming in the comfort of my home office. When I'm done (could be 1 to 16 weeks later) I go back to the customer site to commission my work. Some customers are around the corner and others are 4 provinces away. Commissioning on-site takes anywhere from 1 day to a few weeks depending on the size of the project.

It all sounds good but you have to be dedicated to be self-employed and work from home. It can be easy to get distracted by other things such as the family, hobbies, housework, etc. I built a seperate office and everyone in the family knows...if the door is closed, pretend I'm not even there. This has been very effective for me. Another challenge was not having coworkers. I never realized how much I socialized at work until I had nobody but the dog to talk to. BTW she's a good listener but doesn't contribute much to the conversation.

Paul
11-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I agree, it is very distracting to work from home. I can work from home every other day but with the kids around it's hard. Anyway I'm on my way to find a new contract so I probably will leave my current permanent job....

Ascended
11-19-2006, 09:39 AM
no, too young to engage in that, I would like to run a company after I get my law degree though

lookingforjob
11-20-2006, 10:26 AM
no, too young to engage in that, I would like to run a company after I get my law degree though

I don't see being young as a problem here :). When you are young you have more energy to chase the entrepreneurial dream :D

luvmillion
12-10-2006, 01:52 PM
My husband and I, we are self employed promoting cool stuffs like PSP downloads site, Ipod download site, MP3, Ebooks, Programs, PC Software on the internet.

Not a bad business. We get about between US$25 - US$60 on everysign ups / purchased made to any of these site from our site or link. And these sites offers great downloads that Previous october we make above US$10,000 in that 1 month alone. No kidding, I even post a picture at my website

We do our work from anypart of our home. On bed, in our home office, kitchen, at the pool, garden because we are using internet wireless connection

We have found the true meaning of life. Our life is not worthed at only $10/hour