Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : What's the biggest mistake you've made in an interview?

Isaac
03-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Let's share some funny stories here... :-)

My biggest screw up at a job interview... well this one's kind of embarrasing... from my darker days... I got to the interview, and after taking my jacket off (which I hadn't worn in a long time) I found a nice little suprise in the pocket, while I was in a business manager's office... Let's just say it should have been in some high school kid's pocket that was skipping school! lol That's my interview horror story. Luckily the interviewer didn't notice so it went well.

Administrator
03-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Always dress conservatively when you go to a job interview and never wear something that might embarrass you in public :).

Ladyluck
03-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Mine was accidentally leaving my phone on.. and having it ring during the interview!

Needless t say I quickly apologised and turned my phone off immediately (no, i didnt answer it!).

Luckily he was cool with it, but it was embarassing none the less.

ComDriver
03-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Probably going silent and not answering a question properly, seems to take an age when it happens to get to the next question and then most people like me, start to panic and sweat.

sleek
03-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Oh I have been through that. It is like you are talking to yourself in your head, but you cant get the words out!
It feels a little like a dream, then you wake up and realise they are waiting for your answer.

That's the worst experience :(

trappercase
03-09-2006, 12:43 PM
I blew my nose once, just before an interview and NO I didn't have a booger hanging out of my nose, but after the interview I got in my car and noticed I did have a little fleck of tissue on my upper lip.

DaveC426913
09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Sat down in a chair opposite the 2 interviewers (no table) and discovered my fly was open!

Sat with my briefcase in my lap for about 20 minutes before I excused myself to use their washroom.

No, I did not get the job...

lookingforjob
09-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Sat down in a chair opposite the 2 interviewers (no table) and discovered my fly was open!

Sat with my briefcase in my lap for about 20 minutes before I excused myself to use their washroom.

That's a great story Dave :p Are you sure they saw the "opening"? ... he he

DaveC426913
09-18-2006, 03:23 PM
That's a great story Dave :p Are you sure they saw the "opening"? ... he he
Well, it was gaping. If I hadn't had my briefcase, they'd have been able to tell what brand of undies I wear...

lana
09-19-2006, 09:12 AM
It was one of my first interviews after University and I didn’t take the effort to research the company so I didn't know anything about them, just that they were in publishing. So when the interviewer asked me about it I said I've never seen the books they publish even when she gave me a hint and later showed me some of the books. I spoke the truth but I guess that was very stupid of me and very bad for her self esteem... So I consider this one of my biggest mistakes and I never go to a job interview unprepared.

metoo
09-19-2006, 09:38 AM

This is hilarious :D
Was any of the interviewers a woman ;) ?

Tsveta
09-20-2006, 08:40 AM
It was one of my first interviews after University and I didn’t take the effort to research the company so I didn't know anything about them, just that they were in publishing. So when the interviewer asked me about it I said I've never seen the books they publish even when she gave me a hint and later showed me some of the books. I spoke the truth but I guess that was very stupid of me and very bad for her self esteem... So I consider this one of my biggest mistakes and I never go to a job interview unprepared.

It is very important to research the company before you go on an interview. Go through their web site to get the info and make quick notes. It will take you only 10-15 minutes but it's worth it.

Tsveta
09-21-2006, 08:44 AM
I forgot; here you can find some useful interview tips (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=4&sp=3)

comehome
09-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Great interview tips Tsveta! Thanks!

I'll print out the page and I'll prepare much better for my next interview.

Thanks again!

lana
09-25-2006, 09:20 AM
It is very important to research the company before you go on an interview. Go through their web site to get the info and make quick notes. It will take you only 10-15 minutes but it's worth it.

Thanks Tsveta.
I know now from bad experience... But this is how people learn...

RRCSTUDENT
09-29-2006, 12:50 PM
I was at the right location for the interview, but I had setup my Portfolio with the resume and cover letter from a previous interview. LUCKILY, I had gone for coffee before to check out the Portfolio and noticed it BEFORE I walked in for the interview, and removed the CL and the Resume and Reference List. Everything else remained. Could have been much worse, but that's the reason for my nickname, "Just-In-Case Chase".