Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Resume Idea

trappercase
03-08-2006, 09:16 AM
I received an interesting resume last year. It was simply a business card that had the candidates name and a very brief outline of her skills. I was not hiring at the time, but if i was I would have called her. I don't think it is a good replacement for a traditional resume but both would be nice. Ask for the manager, hand them your card when you introduce yourself and leave them your real resume. Any thoughts?

lana
03-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure what your idea is? You mean just knocking on doors and dropping off Resumes? In my experience 90% of the time the secretary will try to show you the door. She will take your business card/resume but most likely it will end up in the garbage.

Bronco
03-09-2006, 05:28 AM
I dont think thats a good way to do things
Simply dropping off your resume somewhere shows they are probably doing a "bulk application" but doing this at many, many businesses just hoping one will choose them.

I certainly would not apply for jobs this way.

trappercase
03-09-2006, 09:04 AM
How would you apply for jobs? Sitting at home in front of your computer browsing placement agencies and e-mailing resumes? There are a ton of jobs out there that are not advertised at all. I will not hire anyone who calls ahead to see if we are hiring. The business card idea is just in addition to the resume. How do you suggest you apply for jobs? Oh, and I would never leave a resume with a secretary.

whitey
03-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Why wouldnt you hire someone who is calling asking for a job?
Wouldn't this indicate that they are really keen and enthusiastic to work for you?

trappercase
03-16-2006, 09:45 AM
No. In my opinion it shows that they are too lazy to get up and go meet people. Anyone can flip through the phone book. It just shows no initiative. Now, this is just my opinion with respect to my industry. Whenever I place an add in various job banks I clearly state, apply in person.