View Full Version : too old employment?

bjlockie
11-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Is employment from 2001 too old?
My resume is a page shorter without it.
It was my longest employment though.

Tsveta
11-05-2007, 10:25 AM
A typical resume should be a 2 page document. Since it is your longest contract/employment I think you should include it.

mark16
01-06-2008, 06:43 AM
A general rule of thumb is to show your most recent 5-7 years of experience. If the experince you have previous to the 5-7 years is related to the job you are applying for then show it all. You never want to sell yourself short on a resume due to keeping something within 2 pages. I tell all candidates that I interview and coach that page limit does not matter. All the relevant work experience should be shown.

Many people seem to think a resume template or asking for advise is beneficial. Yes, I agree these are good, but nothing is better then having a resume professionally written and spending the money to do so. In particular you want to get a resume created by a professional who has the experience (e.g. human resource professional). They see resumes on a day to day basis and if there is anyone who can tell you about the "do's and dont's" it this group.

As mentioned in other discussions, when I have candidates who do poorly in interviews or ask me how they can improve, I always give them the same recommendation. The job search and resume is a time consuming task, so why not get some professional guidance. The one company I have recommended to people who approach me for suggestions is HRinmotion.com. I have recommended many individuals to this company. HRinmotion specializes in job prepration services (including resume writing and courses etc) for business and job seekers. From my own personal experience, they seem to be quite good and many positive responses.

Best of luck with your resume. Don'r sell yourself short!

Mark

Roshni Poddar
08-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I agree with Tsveta, Resume should be 2 pages long and showing experience with a single employer can only work in your favor

Is employment from 2001 too old?
My resume is a page shorter without it.
It was my longest employment though.