Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Top Resume Tips

ComDriver
03-11-2006, 04:32 PM
I thought it would be good to have a post with all your top resume tips. So if you have any, post them here!

Tsveta
03-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Great idea ComDriver!

Here are some tips that I find useful:

What You Should Include:

1. First and last name. Do not use initials.

2. Full address including postal code.

3. Telephone number. Do not forget the area code. Email

4. Career objective - In a few words summarize your skills, professional goals and a job you are looking for.

5. Skills that are work related. Include any foreign languages in which you are fluent. Especially include any computer skills, particularly involving popular business programs (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Windows, etc.), computer languages and software, research, laboratory, teaching or tutoring, communication and leadership skills.

6. Write down all the positions you have held so far in your career. For each job, note the exact title, the precise period during which you held the position and the full name of the organization you worked for, as well as its location. It should concisely explain what you did, why you did it, how you did it and what the results were.

7. Education history should follow work experience or employment history. However, place it before if you have just recently completed your school education.

8. What credits, degrees or honors can you claim? What non-degree or non-credit training have you had? Be sure to clearly indicate the institutions and dates you attended or received your degrees. What other important things have you trained yourself to do?

For more tips visit: http://jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=4&sp=2

Eric
03-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Checkmate Resume offers a resources section:

http://www.checkmateresume.com/resources/home.htm

Regards,
Eric

Ronin
03-12-2006, 11:18 PM
I dont think we can top Eric's suggestions there :)
He pretty much covers everything.

Perhaps this topic can be sticky?
It is extremely helpful.

trappercase
03-15-2006, 11:29 AM
I can't stress enough; keep it short. Also use a good size font so that it's easy on the eyes. Use a template , you don't have to re-invent the wheel!

Jon
03-15-2006, 03:04 PM
I can't stress enough; keep it short. Also use a good size font so that it's easy on the eyes. Use a template , you don't have to re-invent the wheel!

If it needs length, then I'm not sure I'd stick to this. It depends on the job aswell, and if you need to give detailed explanations of your past roles. Don't waffle on is a better tip - stick to the point on your resume and the emplopoyer will know you will be focused at work ;)

trappercase
03-15-2006, 10:06 PM
If it needs length, then I'm not sure I'd stick to this. It depends on the job aswell, and if you need to give detailed explanations of your past roles. Don't waffle on is a better tip - stick to the point on your resume and the emplopoyer will know you will be focused at work ;)

Agreed. But leave a little for something to talk about in the interview. :D

whitey
03-15-2006, 11:39 PM
There is always something to talk about at the interview, even if your resume is very specific. Most of the time they will ask about past roles and any difficult situations you may have encountered at those jobs.
Be sure you have a few scenarios planned in your head already :)

Jon
03-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Agreed. But leave a little for something to talk about in the interview. :D

Yeah - good idea, never really thought about it that way. Instead of listing everything on your resume, it might show initiative to the employer if you can speak "off the cuff".

Eric
03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Don't be so confident about getting an interview. There are plenty of things to talk about during interviews. When you send your application out, you're not there yet. One thing at a time.

The main point about resumes is to get the employer's attention. The key idea is "what should I write so that I get an interview".