Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Work for no pay?

outbackhill
11-23-2007, 08:18 PM
I work part time (20 to 30 hourse a week) in a retail store. My job requires me to unlock in the morning and lock up in the evenings in addition to balancing the registers. My hours are regularly 8-5, with a one hour unpaid lunch.

Recently, my manager informed me that he would like me to arrive 10-15 minutes early for work everyday. I have no problem with it, but when asked to be paid for this time, he refused. He said that it was 'courtesy' on my part to arrive early unpaid. When doing registers and locking in the evening, we often stay 10-20 minutes doing this work.

I know I should be compensated for this work, I'm just wondering if anyone knows the best way for me to go about being paid of the time. I was hoping to find a form of some sort that states that I must be paid for time asked to work, but am having trouble finding any such thing. Or should I just talk to higher management and my human resources department? Thanks in advance.

contractor
11-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Unfortunately this happens a lot. You can be asked to work more than 8 hours at any job and most of the time it is considered "normal" or like your manager said "courtesy on your part". You can try to talk to HR but I don't expect you will have any luck. You can find yourself in a difficult situation and finally kicked out of your job. There is more information about the Overtime pay and the employee rights. I hope you will find this helpful: http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/factsheets/fs_hours.html

UUhen
09-13-2008, 10:54 PM
it is really hard to ask them to pay for it. I've been in a similar situation. I only got paid if it was longer than 30 mins.

Tsveta
10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
If you work 2-3 hours overtime you can ask to get paid but for 20 minutes I don't think your employer will be impressed. Check the Canadian work legislation (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=4&sp=4) or just find different job.