Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Civil Engineering

yulekm
03-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi Everyone,

I Was Wondering If You Had An Idea Of The Civil Engineering Market In Canada. I'm Almost Done With My Masters At Concordia, And I've Been Sending Out Applications To Everywhere In The Country, Yet There Is Not A Single Response.

I Have 2 Years Of Research And Teaching Experience At The University Level However, No Employer Seems To Deem It As Canadian Experience.

There Is Almost No Chance That I Can Do Some Networking, No Friends At All Working In The Industry. I Go Online, Online, And Online..

Starting To Get Frustrated Now.

Any Comments?..

Thank You.

Tsveta
03-19-2006, 08:10 AM
I think there are a lot of job opportunities in your field because of the new development in the country. Did you try contacting recruiters? Try the Civil Engineers Society in Canada: http://www.csce.ca/
They might be able to help you.

whitey
03-19-2006, 04:30 PM
The CE Society can most definitely help you.
At the very least, they can give you a list of locations in your area where you could possibly be employed.

From there, you can contact prospective employers and really sell yourself to them :)

trappercase
03-19-2006, 09:59 PM
You probably already checked this, but you should make sure that you check out the municipal offices of different cities and towns. They tend to hire from the civil engineering field.

Tim
03-19-2006, 10:17 PM
You said you have taught at university.
Does this mean you want to continue with the teaching degree, or you want to actually get a job in the field?

yulekm
03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks a lot for these ideas, they've been helpful really. Tim, for your question, I want to work in the field as a project engineer and get involved in design and application. I've been working as a research and teaching assistant at university for 2 years now. My studying days will soon be over..

I guess I'll crack down on this issue more after I defend my thesis. I believe I should go through the whole directory of recruiters and companies doing business in this field. Our career advisor told me that looking for a job online and sending out resumes by a click was just "scratching the surface" in job hunting. So I'll be digging in.. :)

Thanks again.

April
03-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks a lot for these ideas, they've been helpful really. Tim, for your question, I want to work in the field as a project engineer and get involved in design and application. I've been working as a research and teaching assistant at university for 2 years now. My studying days will soon be over..

I guess I'll crack down on this issue more after I defend my thesis. I believe I should go through the whole directory of recruiters and companies doing business in this field. Our career advisor told me that looking for a job online and sending out resumes by a click was just "scratching the surface" in job hunting. So I'll be digging in.. :)

Thanks again.

He is somewhat correct. You would be very very lucky to get a job offer just by emailing places.

I have had this happen once and once only - it turns out that I didn't like the job anyway so it was a waste of time.