Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : job strategy

andre
08-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Hello there!
My name is Andre and I am a professional chef. Do you have any suggestions about my job strategy? I’ve been trying to apply for a job for 2 months now without any luck. Should I try leaving resumes in restaurants?

Tsveta
08-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Don’t limit your job search only with restaurants. You can try the catering industry, bakery sections in the grocery stores… You never know…
It’s a good idea to leave resumes.

ComDriver
03-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Yes, it’s probably best to try a range of options, even if you may not totally like one of them. It will always add to your resumé and experience and help you get your dream job.

Ronin
03-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Going into restaurants and talking to the manager is a good way to get a job.
Also approach cruise ships if you are into travelling - chefs on board cruise ships get paid VERY well.

And its a great lifestyle too :)

Tricky
03-13-2006, 05:02 PM
This is the national association for chefs in Canada:
http://www.ccfcc.ca/

I think you'll find just about everything you need there in regards to qualifications etc.

lookingforjob
03-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Going into restaurants and talking to the manager is a good way to get a job.
Also approach cruise ships if you are into travelling - chefs on board cruise ships get paid VERY well.

And its a great lifestyle too :)

Great ideas Ronin!

If you walk through a area of the city where there are many restaurants and pubs, you'll find out that many of them are looking for waiters and chefs.

Ronin
03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes that is very true. Often they don't even advertise besides putting up a small notice in the window.

You would be VERY surprised how people will react if you actually go in and talk to them, they may even create a job for you right there and then.

trappercase
03-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Where are you located Andre? I manage a restaurant in New Brunswick and we're always looking for cooks. When you say "Should I try leaving resumes in restaurants?" I need to ask what have you done? I know around here restaurants rarely need to advertise for placements since mosts kitchens turnover a lot. But if you really want to get into a "Chefs" position, I would make sure you work under a chef as much as you can, not just long time line cook kitchen managers, if you know what I mean.